1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long without reboot?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by bnam, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bnam

bnam Mentor

Nov 25, 2004
    How long has your 921 functioned (or malfunctioned :)) without needing an user initiated reboot? Reason I ask is that my 921 (new in Dec '04) just crossed 6 mos since last (and the first) reboot and has been functioning without any issues -- (well there was one issue with one row of pixels being doubled resulting in a "speed bump" most visible during credits -- but that seemed to have resolved itself).

On this list, 6mos would seem out of the normal -- but would it be a record?

My experience with the prior 6000 was very different -- I spent a lot of time with support on that one -- and more akin to that of the vocal majority here. The 921 has been different. (fingers, toes, eyes crossed)

B

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I have a Dec04 921 also. I rarely reboot.

3. revenson

revenson Cool Member

Jan 31, 2003
    The longest I have gone is 4 weeks without a soft or hard reboot! Mine was purchased new in 2/05.

4. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Mine will sometimes do the daily auto-reboot and will function properly until they glitch. Sometimes for no reason, they get the, "stuck aspect" which signals that if I don't do the power cord reboot, worse things will occur. I leave the 921's in standby nightly so they can auto reboot. As a rule, I usually do a power cord reboot only when the auto reboot fails (frequently).

5. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    If you place your 921 in standby at night it will reboot itself. That counts as a reboot so unless your 921 is on 24/7 that would not constitute 6 months.

6. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Does it really matter? The thing reboots itself daily (and this is sad). Past experience tells us the box would be a mess without the daily reboot (major memory leaks - you should have been there then).

That said, I'd say once a week or so to deal with stuck aspect ratios.

7. bnam

bnam Mentor

Nov 25, 2004
    I do know about the nightly auto reboots, but was wondering about user initiated ones -- it seemed like for many here frequently the auto reboots were not working or were not sufficient to prevent some problems.
    B

8. pwherr

pwherr Mentor

Jul 14, 2004
    I shut mine off every night to let it reboot and I only have to reboot with the front button when I have it in hd for over an hour and want to switch it back to sd it disables the unit.I have not had to pull the plug on this one.

9. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    There are conditions that when present, prevent the 921 from executing it's own auto reboot. Working and watching at odd hours, I often have the need to do a manual reboot. eg. my 921 is on for several days at 4 AM it won't do the auto reboot. After about 4 days the first thing I observe is the SD/HD switch no longer functions and my Aspect ratio is stuck in stretch mode when it states "Normal". a manual reboot fixes that. If my 921 is shut down standby at midnight for a couple of weeks, it will function normally, like yours, as it is executing a nightly auto reboot.

10. swlauren

swlauren Mentor

Apr 2, 2004
    Bnam-
    My 921 has operated flawlessly for over 8 months without a reboot and is in use at least 5 hours/day. I have had 2 power brownouts in that time period if you want to count that as a reboot. All in all I am very happy withit
    Steve
    1x921
    1x811
    2x522
    1x311
    2xdp34

11. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I the last week, I have had to reboot my 921 on several occasions. This includes stuck stretch mode and when you cannot stop a recording. For example, when I went to record a CNN segment the other night while it was in progress, I received a message that the program could not be found or was no longer available. Nevertheless, the 921 started recording. When I went into the menu to stop the recording after the show, it would not stop. The only way to stop it was to reboot. I am really getting tired of this product. And yes, Dish doesn't seem to care. When I call them about these issues, I am told "wait for the software upgrade." Well, I have been waiting with a continually malfunctioning product for more than 8 months.

12. dcad

dcad New Member

Sep 12, 2002
    The longest mine has ever gone without a reboot is 4 days. Of course I have to leave it on a paused show overnight so it won't auto reboot since it can't hold my switch setup. (SW64 4-sat) Most of the time it completely locks up every other day. Also when it reboots, only if it goes to the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" can I get away with one reboot. If it goes to the "Receiver is Booting" screen, I know I'm in for 15 minutes minimum of rebooting before I can get to the check switch menu to get things working right again.

13. rdopso

rdopso Legend

Jan 26, 2004
    I was told recently by a Dish phone rep that my 921 would auto reboot every morning between 3 and 4 AM. Is this true or not? My 921 is only a few months old, but I have not manually rebooted it since the install and I do not seem to have any problems. I did have a few zero second recordings at first, but that seems to have resolved itself.

14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Yes, it SHOULD reboot itself nightly.

The easiest way to tell if to open PiP and Position the window away from the bottom-right corner. Whenever the 921 reboots, the PiP window resets back to that spot, so you can tell if it has rebooted. ;)