1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many cables do I need?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kevlar, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevlar

Kevlar New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm having someone come to wire my house up... and I'm wondering how many wires do I need for the new Ka dish? I have a triple LNB dish now... 3 RG6s run from the dish to the attic and 1 RG6 runs to my kitchen. Instead of running all 4 to the attic and one back to the kitchen, the d*tv installer took the easy way out and just ran one directly to the kitchen. :(

I'm having the a new ( non-d*tv) installer run 3 RG6 to the 2 bedrooms and the living room and then 1 RG6 to the kitchen from the attic (1 RG6 is for cable, and 2 RG6s for satellite -- the kitchen will only need one sat feed). However, how many wires should I have them run from the dish location to the attic... 4 RG6s?

Thoughts?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you can receive OTA run 5 cables to the attic. If you might put in dual tuner HDTV DVRs run 3 cables to those locations.

3. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    How many receivers and of what types are you looking at?

I would run 2 runs to any place you would every consider having a DVR.

Personally I would take the approach of having all 4 feeds from the dish pumped to a powered multiswitch. But it needs to be capable of handling the Ka frequencies.

Also, consider the requirements of copper core RG6 cable versus copper clad.

Currently the new dish requires 4 runs. I'd still add another 1-2 if you're doing the work.

4. Kevlar

Kevlar New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Well, I was only going to get the standard HDTV receivers from D*TV... and build some HTPCs to do the DVR records to a central harddrive array. Will I need 3 RG6s dedicated to just HDTV satellite work + 1 RG6 for my cable feed? (Cable comes free with the neighborhood)

Right now, I'll have 3 D*TV HDTV receivers and 1 standard receiver (the one in the kitchen).

That is what I thought too, but instead of runnin the 4 feeds into the attic, only 3 run into the attic currently and 1 runs into the kitchen. I would like to have all 4 run into the kitchen and then split from there.

5. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Sounds like you've got a plan Kevlar!!! :biggthump

6. Kevlar

Kevlar New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Doing my best to futureproof myself as much as possible... adding the toys after the wiring is done is the easy part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.