1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many lines needed from satelite

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sortsol, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007
    I know, this is a dumb question. I have standard directv with a few enhanced tivo machines. I just purchased a new HDTV and want to upgrade to high definition. My problem is I only have 2 lines coming in from the satelite with really no way to run new lines (my insulation is blown into my walls).

Can I install the high definition receiver with only 2 lines coming in from the satelite or do I need 4? I'm assuming I'll need the 5 lbn dish.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

If you would like to use both tuners you need to have two lines hooked up to the HDDVR. So you will be fine with what you have now but you will not be able to hook up the TiVo.

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Are these two exiting lines going to the same location in your house?

4. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007

Thanks for the quick response. So, can I run the hr20 and my tivos with only 2 lines coming from the satelite to the multi-switch?

5. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    No. You have to have 4 lines going to the multi-switch.

6. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Also to be able to use both tuners on each unit you will need 2 lines to each. They will work with only 1 line but you will only be able to use 1 tuner.

7. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    To get the most out of your system, you should have the 5-LNB dish w/ the four cables coming from that dish and into at least a 6x8 switch (WB68). It sounds like you are coming up short on all the above items.
    How many recievers do want to connect? Or should I say how many total tuners are you wanting to use from all of your receivers?

8. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007
    I'm looking at 1 hd dvr and 2-3 directivos. I have the possibility to have 2 more lines installed. Just not sure the wife will like the looks of it :). Is HD worth it?

9. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    At a minumum the HD is two tuners and 2 DirecTivo is 4 tuners for a total of 6. You need a switch.

Yes, HD is worth it. ;-)

10. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007
    That's what I was afraid of :-(

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You definably need the 5 lnb dish which will have 4 lines coming from it into your Zinwell 6x8 switch and from there you'll have 8 outputs.

12. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007
    Will the include the Zinwell switch in the install or do I have to purchase that separately?

13. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes. Just make sure Directv puts it on the work order.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Everything you need is included in the free install. What isn't covered is if you need cables fished thru the walls or something. You'll get charge for that per the installer.

When it comes to cabling, the more you can do yourself the better. Then the installer can just hook it all up and you're good to go.

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I seem to find myself adding...
    If you can rough in the cables where you want them, then the installer can installer the right connectors and you're set.

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Those must be some mighty long lines to reach all the way from the satellite :D

j/k ;) -- What the folks above have suggested will work well. :)

17. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Check out the Installation Tips for this and a lot more. If you follow the tips it can make all the difference.

- Craig

18. sortsol

sortsol New Member

May 12, 2007

Ok, so if I knock out a wall and a window (not literally), I can get another couple of lines in the house for a total of 4 lines.

Here is my concern. I have 2 lines that are straight from the dish to the multiswitch. My other 2 lines will have to have a couple of connectors in order to make it work. It is all rg6 cables, but I don't know if it is "high-def approved". Will these cables work for high def? If not, can I use the two currently connected to the dish as my hd cables and the other 2 for my standard def? In other words, is high def cabling more picky than standard def?

Question number 2: If I only care about one tuner on my hr20 receiver, can I get by with just 3 lines from the dish? I have 3 lines already outside and that would make the install a bit easier.

Thanks again.

Mike

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    With either the Phase III dish, or the newer AT9/AU9 models(5 LNB), you really need to have all 4 lines going to any multi switch you use for proper functionality. Thats just the way it is. With onyl 1 line to your HR20, you currently could not record more than one thing at a time, or watch one live and record another, you would be stuck with one tuner. You could record something and watch a previously recorded show, but thats about it. You need a dedicated line for each sat tuner input, and if you want to pick up local HD from an antenna, you need a dedicated line for that as well. No splitters, no diplexors, etc...will guarentee that everything can work as intended.

20. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Yes the RG6 cable you already have is fine. Yes if you would like you could just run 1 line to the HR20 and 2 lines to the TiVo. Then if you want when the SWM (single wire multi-switch) comes out later this year you could get that and add it into your system. But you would need the 4th line from the dish to the multi-switch. That can be installed outside and then the installer could connect to the outputs the 3 lines that are going into the house. Then you would only need one cable to the HR20 and be able to use both tuners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.