1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many of you have ever had a hard drive that got reformatted against your will?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kathymoore, Dec 31, 2007.

How many of you have ever had a hard drive that got reformatted against your will?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    How many of you have ever had a hard drive that
    got reformatted against your will? HR20 or HR21...
    (only when it automatically reformatted without you
    asking the DVR to do so)

Thanks! :)

2. Jan 3, 2008 #2 of 14
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    perhaps it was a bad hard drive.

3. Jan 3, 2008 #3 of 14
    Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero Godfather

Dec 13, 2005
    Never. I just did a red button reset and my eSATA HDD did not reformat either.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #4 of 14
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Did this happen to you Kathy? Or are you just acquiring data because you're trying to guage what to expect with your DVR?

(BTW - Two HR20s and one HR21, and none ever been reformatted either unwillingly or per my direction.)

5. Jan 3, 2008 #5 of 14
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm surprised it's polling as high as 9% .... this problem almost never comes up here. Seems like it's extremely rare.

6. Jan 3, 2008 #6 of 14
    DanER40

DanER40 Legend

Oct 25, 2007
    Mine happened through a menu reset.

7. Jan 3, 2008 #7 of 14
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    Doesn't that mean it the reformatting was initiated by you? The OP said "formatted against your will....." :D :D :D

I had this happen to my HR20 and FAP750. The 750GB drive was nearly 85% full and out of the blue everything just disappeared. I couldn't figure out which was at fault, the HR20 or the FAP750, so I returned the FAP750 to Circuit City and bought another one from BestBuy. DirecTV also replaced my HR20. So far, I haven't experienced another wipe-out.

The only possible explanation that I can think of was that I didn't have any UPS attached to the HR20 or the FAP750.

8. Jan 3, 2008 #8 of 14
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Anyone who archives programs on a hard drive deserves exactly what they get.

9. Jan 3, 2008 #9 of 14
    bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    is there a way to archive HD programming from DTV HD DVRs? (in high-def) :)

10. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    No. The only way to archive HD right now is Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

I'd be bummed out if my hard drive reformated itself tomorrow. But that would last all of an hour and then I'd start re-recording.

When using a hard drive, whether it be on a computer or a DVR, you have to be prepared for it to die two minutes from right now. With a computer, at least we can back things up. We can't do that with our DVRs. So all I can do is work on the proper mental attitude.

For me, every time I play something off my DVR, it's one of Life's Little Miracles. That way I won't be too upset if it dies. It's an attitude that works for me. :)

11. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    When using a hard drive, whether it be on a computer or a DVR, you have to be prepared for it to die two minutes from right now.

A lot of things could happen 2 minutes from right now, but usually don't.
    I don't store hundereds of episodes of a shows on my DVR but I don't figure the hard drive is gonna die 2 minutes from now either.

12. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't figure that it will, either. The difference is I also don't expect that it won't.

13. bluemoose

bluemoose Legend

Dec 7, 2007
    A lot of things can happen in two minutes.... these things can fail: hard drive, HR20, even your HDTV.... even the DTV satellites can die... I used to subscribe to a int'l satellite TV and their transponders failed, causing a two-week outage before they retasked another satellite to carry the signal....

worse case scenario, the Chinese or the Russians can "accidentally" strike a TV satellite while conducting a satellite-killer missle drill....(lke they did last year) :D

come to think of it, it's only TV.......:D

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If the drive reformats itself that means that the DVR rebooted or was restarted and it couldn't boot off the drive because of errors (computers can do the same thing). And thus instead of leaving you with a dead DVR it tries to reformat the drive while marking the bad sectors as unusable thus leaving you with a functioning DVR again unless the hard drive was really bad.

So in summary if the hard drive has problems:
    Tivo - dead DVR that won't boot or will keep crashing on the GSOD (green screen of death)
    HR20/21 - a reformat is attempted to try to get it running again which works most time.

In both cases you will probably lose your recordings which suck but at least with the HR20 you are back up and running.

Take your pick I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.