1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many of you have the AT9 on a roof

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by stuart628, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    okay, so I have posted a couple times about not wanting the AT9 on my roof (very afraid of roof leaks, new holes etc.) I do have my Phase III up there though..so who has their AT9 on their roof, any problems, any fears, am I just too worried about this issue? also can they use the same footprint, just differnt supports?

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I had an AT9 on our old house in the Chicago area. The only problem was that the installer didn't install the extra support arms and the dish eventually drifted out of alignment. D* came back out and fixed that. Also have it on the new home in Austin, no problems but then again we haven't seen rain here in ages.

3. janzy

janzy New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    my dish is installed on a flat roof in Boston.
    The installers had to come back 4 times to get it right due to NOT installing the proper multiswitch. They put a mount that lays on the roof with a rim around the edge of it to accomadate 6 very heavy cinder blocks that I had to provide.

4. nhguy

nhguy Mentor

Jul 16, 2006
    Mine is on my roof. Sloped and about 35 ft up. I had an independant installer do mine, after several visits from D* techs. I have NO faith in a D* tech to do anything right. I especially didn't want them putting holes in my roof.
    He lagged the dish into a stud and I have one year guarantee on the install. It's been up for about a month and HDTV had been perfect in rain and wind.

5. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I had my AT9 installed on my roof yesterday and I did make sure that the tech used the 2 support arms and it seems to be up there very well.

I guess I will see if he sealed it good enough come the first rain that we get.

6. dsanbo

dsanbo Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    Very similar install here (east of Concord, NH).....N.E. Antenna did the work (in the "biz" since 1950s.....)....They did NOT use my monopoles - said in my case they weren't necessary - and guaranteed thier install anyway (they said they'd come back and install the monopoles IF I really felt they were needed...)
    This was nearly 6 months ago....lots of heavy wind......no problems; sig level is right on where it was from day one....
    ALL 6 holes in the mounting bracket have a 2 1/2" lag bolt, ANCHORED TO A 2X4 STUD AND/OR ROOF JOIST....AND WEATHERPROOFED WITH SILICONE!!!!
    Done right the FIRST time, an AT-9 install should be trouble-free for a long time! Good luck!

7. 69RoadRunner

69RoadRunner AllStar

Feb 17, 2006
    Would you folks say that the new dish resists rain fade better than your old dish?

8. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    so no problems huh? am I just being a worry wart. Even if it did cause leaks I am not responsible correct? the installer would have to reseal, and fix all damage to my house? I am just really worried because my house is in a really high wind area- I live at the bottom of a hill, at the end of the street, so the houses in front of me start the wind tunnel, and it all comes rushing to me. I have had some shingles replaced twice in the three years i have been at this house.

9. newsposter

newsposter Hall Of Fame

Nov 12, 2003
    Goodness i hate those cinder block things!!! Run!!!!

I had a 10ft dish mounted that way on my old flat roof. 400lbs of blocks on it. They said it would never move. Well first big storm, the dish was hanging over the edge of the roof and about to fall on the neighbors cars below it.

A call to the installer (it was replaced because my original old dish actually crashed over) was met with...we'll get there eventually. Then they realized they would be responsible for the cars and were there within an hour.

I hired real pros who lagged it thru the joists (great aim guys) and I still think it's there today over a decade later (have to drive by now and see)

I realize dbs is smaller but NO way would i trust cinder blocks to hold it down.

10. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Silicone and standard roofs, not a good combination... The heat and oil from the shingles and tar can degrade it. You should use a sealant specifically for roofing material when mounting your dish through the roof.

11. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    Okay, a couple quick thoughts, the AT9, is only 32 lbs and not 55 as I was orginally told correct? also as long as its in a rafter, then I should be fine correct? thanks

12. wanabee

wanabee New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    A supervisor from Ironwork's, the installers that will be installing the AT-9 came to my house to check out where the dish can be installed. He said it would be no problem in attaching it to the roof's eave. He said it will be strong enough to hold the dish without hurting the roof and causing any leaks. Any thoughts on that?

13. nhguy

nhguy Mentor

Jul 16, 2006
    If it's a D* installer, get a second opinion.

14. dsanbo

dsanbo Legend

Nov 25, 2005
    Correct on both counts.....
    And, as mjones73 eluded......IF you're mounting DIRECTLY to shingles, rather than a sidewall or eave.....USE a GOOD QUALITY ROOF SEALANT rather than silicone!
    My own install is on a sidewall, about 20" down from the roof apex; silicone was used, since I'm nowhere near the shingles.....

15. janzy

janzy New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    the direct tv techs that installed my dish were really bad and had to return three times!
    rain fade is still the same as the old dish.

16. bigpro

bigpro Mentor

Aug 25, 2006
    Installed on roof, no problems, no leaks.
    Rain fade, though, is WORSE, believe it or not. 1 year with the 3LNB, never had rain fade even once. 2 months with the 5LNB, complete rain fade 3 times. I've also had some pixelation on the MPEG4 stations, so it may be the angle. We'll see.

17. stuart628

stuart628 Banned User

Jul 8, 2004
    welll Sept 11th. the install is going to happen on my roof....the more I thought about it, Directv Made these things, and I am sure tested these things for the roof, they dont want lawsuits, so As long as I get my monopoles up I should be fine for the wind, I cant wait to get my locals in HD! and my RSN! I will only be missing CBs, until the OTA tuner works

18. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    Mine is on my garage roof. No problems at all.

19. bigpro

bigpro Mentor

Aug 25, 2006
    For some reason I thought they weren't going to install it on your roof. Did something change?

20. Proc

Proc Godfather

Jan 19, 2006
    The Phase III dish was on the garage and I was going to do a pole mount in the yard for the AT9. Long story short, I had a new roof put on the garage (complete tear off). A buddy of mine is a local installer and convinced me to put the AT9 up on the garage roof and use the existing air-run coax (from the Phase III) back to the house. We mounted it high up on the roof near the edge and put on the monopoles. Its up there pretty good. No issues in the 3+ months its been up there. No leaks either.

Here's a picture of it on my garage roof (and no, its not aimed at the trees...lol) http://www.shoplikeaman.com/images/at9-1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.