1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How many Sats??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by daddie_longlegs, May 4, 2013.

1. daddie_longlegs

daddie_longlegs New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    I'm new to Dish after many years with DTV. I always got a minimum of 3 Sats w/ DTV (110/119/12?), but I noticed I only get (2)Sats with Dish, 61.5 west strength 51 /72.7 strength 32 but no other Sats. Shouldn't I get 3 Sats?? I also seem to get fade real easy and Locals may pixelate & drop audio from time to time. I live in N.E. Alabama. Little help please.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The western arc consists of 110/119/129, while the eastern arc consists of 61.5/72.7/77... but most people don't need all three on the eastern arc, it seems... so every once in a while in certain areas they just install you with the two locations like it sounds like they have done for you.

3. daddie_longlegs

daddie_longlegs New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Shouldn't the signal strength be higher?? It fades a lot more than my old DTV signal!!

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Higher is relative.

While the signal meter on the DVRs go up to 100, nobody ever gets anywhere near that. Also, you can't just measure results on one channel and say that's your signal... Different transponders give different levels. A good installation will be peaked on a couple of different locations on the two SATs you receive, and there will be variance across all the transponders.

I don't know what optimal levels are in Alabama... but different parts of the country do see different levels as you might expect. Maybe someone else from Alabama can chime in and give you some ideas of what to expect.

I can say that a properly peaked dish with Dish Network in most areas shouldn't lose signal due to "rain fade" unless you have a nice dark cloud overhead blocking signal... We get some heavy rains and don't lose signal here in NC unless the black clouds are overhead.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    No - Dish used to go clear to 125 on their receiver's meters. Now - they're calibrated to the standard meters their tech's use for aiming.

A reading of 50-60 is gods plenty for most transponders - it's very resistant to weather related events if you're getting that strong a signal.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The incidence of fade should be comparable to a DIRECTV SD signal and better than a DIRECTV HD signal. If it isn't, your installation is probably sub-par.