1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How many sub channels?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by machavez00, May 3, 2009.

1. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    How many sub channels is a station allowed? On a recent trip to the Inland Empire I noticed that are channels that have numerous sub channels, one with a -11 sub channel.

I believe The Shadow can confirm this.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I am not aware of any legal or FCC restriction.

There would be logical restrictions due to the limited bandwidth... but I suppose if a station just wanted to put up some static slates that take very little bandwidth to announce things, they could probably put up a bunch of those as subchannels.

3. Surveyor40

Surveyor40 DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I believe the FCC only requires digital broadcasting. Whatever the stations or the networks broadcast is up to them. The highest digital video channels I've personally received contained 8 subs with no HD. Milwaukee ch 36 digital broadcasts up to 8 channels with video. However, 2 are audio only with a title slide.

36-1 PBS Feed local ch 36
    36-2 V-Me
    36-3 PBS World Feed
    36-4 Create
    36-5 Slide with Classical music
    36-6 Slide with Jazz
    36-7 NOAA Weather Radar
    36-8 MPTV Traffic Cams