1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Tuners Will I Have? SWiM Changes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by CuriousG, Aug 21, 2012.

1. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    Currently have three HR-2x receivers with SWiM and MRV. Will be getting a new HR-34 installed on Saturday.

How many tuners is that, and will my wiring/connection infrastructure need to be changed?

Any issues I should be prepared for?

Thanks.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's 11 tuners, so you'll need a SWM-16 switch installed.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Would SWM-5 and SWM-8 works too ?

4. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    Cool. Thanks for the answers. I'll have to assume the installer will have the SWiM gear on the truck.

5. Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob Cool Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Last I checked you can't use a SWiM switch with a SWiM LNB...

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Would the 16-port SWIM switch works with SWiM LNBF ?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The SWiM-16 needs a legacy LNB.

"Now there is away", to combine two SWiMs for the whole home.
    The approved is through two CCKs and bridging with a router.

The unapproved way, is to use the NAS 9501 diplexers and bridge the DECA signal between the two. I've tested this and it works, but it's best to only have single SWiM outputs, and combining four [I done this too] will add some loss into the mix.

Check this sticky at the top: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=207005

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    So, what would be a solution for OP if he have SWiM LNBFs and need to feed 11 tuners ?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Best thing is to have DirecTV come out and install a SWiM-16.
    The SWiM LNB is limiting, where a SWM8 isn't, as it can be combined with other SWiMs, be it a SWM5 or another SWM8, or SWiM-16s.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Then how to understand Kaiser Bob post "you can't use a SWiM switch with a SWiM LNB" ?

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "How" is because the SWiM LNB has "no input", where all the other SWiMs have inputs from the legacy LNB, so this can get split to feed more than one.
    The SWiM LNB only has an output, which feeds only eight tuners. That's why I called it "limited".

"Maybe" I should have added when DirecTV installs a SWiM-16 in place of a SWiM LNB, they swap the LNB too.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm puzzled if there is no technical solution to increase number of targets for the SWiM LNBF ? So it must be replaced in OP's case ?

13. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Once you exceed 8 tuners a SWM LNB will be replaced with a legacy LNB and a SWM 16 will be installed.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "The solution" is to use a legacy LNB with four outputs to feed external SWiMs.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OK.

CuriousG, would you exchange your SWM LNBF to legacy one ?

16. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    I am reading with great interest as this will be the job of the DirecTV installer. I am also trying to remember if I still have four feeds coming off the dish. I'm thinking something was removed when the SWiM was installed last time. If the installer has to run new coax from the dish to the equipment location, I'm going to be screwed as this will require a very tough attic run that I know he won't do, and I am now in no shape to do myself.

I will be checking for coax lines from the dish as soon as I get home tonight.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you have a SWM you have 1 line coming from it. It's possible the old lines are still there if you had a non SWM. The tech should run 2 new lines with a SWM 16. One will be for the PI and the other will be for the second set of receivers. I wouldn't get too involved until the tech gets there to see how he's going to want to run it and you can discuss with him at that time.

18. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    The install is done,and all seems to be working at this point, though I did initially have some problems getting the two HR-24s to see each other on the MRV network.

I have a question for the group, however...

The installer used two wires from the outside mounted SWM-16 module. He has the PI connected though a splitter that also feeds three DVRs. I do have a separate wire that could connect the PI by itself to the SWM-16. Would there be any advantage to putting the PI on a separate coax?

19. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Probably not. If it's isolated behind a splitter it isn't going to matter. If it's inline of a DVR and you have MRV or other issues, it could help.