1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

how much longer?

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by terfmop, Mar 31, 2005.

1. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    I guess we are all waiting to find out what happens today. I had voOm installed on the 25th and so far, have been very happy with it. Upconverted or not, the picture quality is much better than what is found on Dish.....my 4-year old even stopped playing to tell me "Wow Daddy, that's beautiful"...she doesn't know beans about 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i...all she knows is the picture quality is pretty good. The voOm receiver was able to deliver what my Dish 811 receiver could not, that is Dolby 5.1 (yeah, I have one of those receivers that is not compatible with the 811's DD5.1).

The only thing that I do not like, is no ABC affiliate feed, I'll have to get a lifeline cable package to get an ABC station (I live ~75 miles from the nearest ABC station and voOm's antenna isn't tall enouch to bring it in). Do you think it would be possible for voOm to do what D* does, and have HD networks available (east and west coast feeds) for those that could qualify for DNS?

Assuming voOm stays alive, I'll try it for another 6 months then decide if I want to switch back to Dish....football season will just be starting and I will NEED ABC to watch College football and MNF

2. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    Hopefully they are working on getting those feeds b/c that will be a deal breaker for many people when deciding which company to stick with.

3. terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    Yeah, I think voOm would be VERY attractive to alot of folks if they get their DVR out and would be able to offer DNS networks to those that qualify.

4. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    terfmop: i'd jump to Voom the moment my contract with D* ended if the had DNS networks and (working) DVR.

5. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't know about that up-converted stuff, I watch 480i up converted all the time and while it does look nice it's no 1080i. Also, I would be leery to switch while voom's existence could be called tentative at best...but, if you're happy, I'm happy for you.