1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How much power really needs to be disconnected?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Wolfmanjohn, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Greetings, all,

I have a SWM16 with the PI connected to its' power in port, the Genie on SWM1 out, and 3 HR2x on SWM2 out. I need to replace the barrel connector in the line at the Genie wallplate (upgrade to blue center type). While I understand I should depower the Genie before doing this, is it necessary to depower the PI/SWM? Doing so means a trip to the attic, which I'd like to avoid, but will do if needed to keep from potentially damaging that or other equipment.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and suggestions; they are greatly appreciated.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I may not be the one to ask, as I have been known to work on "hot lines", but with the PI running to the PWR port, I wouldn't power anything down to change out an RF connector.

3. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    I never power anything down but I do have all the replacement parts on my truck.

Except for one time. I had to drive a long way to get that power supply.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Well,

some of us have had to reset a PI a few times (by unplugging and plugging back in), and it apparently would not hurt the PI at all and 'might' help it if it was powered down. If the attic AC outlet was on a known breaker or fuse, and was not in common with the one to the Genie and was easier than a trip to the attic that might be a way to consider doing it.

Just as a general thing as a homeowner, I try to check both of my attic areas a couple times a year whether I need to go up there for anything else or not. I check for water leaks, vermin and to just remind myself what I have stored up there.

FWIW . . .

5. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    <p>Thanks all for your replies.&nbsp; VOS, I too am a &quot;hot line&quot; worker if I think I can get away with it (was in BART maintenance and engineering for 27 years before retiring).&nbsp; Especially after I quit drinking several years ago, and now have a much steadier hand.&nbsp; Less fear, too.</p>

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    These PI have short circuit protection for those installers that like to change the fittings with the PI plug in…

7. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Good to know. Didn't see any sparks yesterday and all seems to be working fine, so I guess I didn't tank anything.