1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much to upgarde to an Hr-20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by blademaster, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 4, 2007 #1 of 29
    blademaster

blademaster Cool Member

Jun 4, 2007
    I jsut got an h20 and i want to either add an hr-20 or just outright upgrade to one? What are my options/costs?

I just paid $129 for directv to hook up the new dish that is compatible with the h20.

2. Jun 4, 2007 #2 of 29
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Contact Directv see what they can do for you.Good Luck!:):welcome_s

3. Jun 4, 2007 #3 of 29
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk

Take a look at the thread below and you will see the deals that different customers have got and how they went about getting them. For some reason each customer will get a different deal from Directv so you will have to just call and see what they say.

http://dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62089

4. Jun 4, 2007 #4 of 29
    myboyblue

myboyblue Cool Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I just ordered a HR20 on Friday and had it installed today. When I call DTV to ask how much to upgrade my HR10 to HR20 they said $199. I emailed them saying that $199 is way too much. They called me back and offered it for $99.99. I aksed them to lower it and they came up with $19.95 plus tax. It all depends on if you get someone willing to help you. Good Luck.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #5 of 29
    DrZ

DrZ Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Telling them that your thinking of quitting D* and moving the cable of DishNet helped me. Once I said that I got the HR20 for $19.99.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #6 of 29
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But only state that if you are in fact willing to quit D* and move to cable or Dishnetwork...

As they may call your bluff (and they are starting to do that, based on your history with DirecTV).

7. Jun 4, 2007 #7 of 29
    cavihitts

cavihitts Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    +1

8. Jun 5, 2007 #8 of 29
    Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Yup. You had be an outstanding customer with a pretty nice viewing package before you decide to threaten. OR else they will say... Have A Nice Day

9. Jun 5, 2007 #9 of 29
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    It depends what you are upgrading from and whether you're currently under a commitment.

I tried to upgrade my R15-300 and pretty much got no special offer.

Others have reported upgrading from HR10-250's and other Tivo based DVR's have resulted in some excellent deals. All depends on who you talk to I guess.

10. mjonison

mjonison New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    one question...
    why would you say you're going to switch to dish or cable if you're not going to?
    this is something new to me...

11. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    All that counts are how many hearts you have when you try to pull the punk card:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. vikerex

vikerex AllStar

Aug 18, 2006
    I called and this is the deal they gave me:
    2 HR20-100s
    5lnb Slimline dish
    Installation
    All for $99, then they credited my account $100 and knocked $10 off my bill for the next year. All I did was ask what kind of deal I could get for upgrading my two TiVos.

13. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    It is simply a scare tactic that honestly, can sometimes work. Not just with D*, but this tactic is used by most people daily! "I'm going to buy this same car from dealer XYZ and not you unless I get a better deal", or telling a Sears salesman you're going to go buy your new appliances from Lowe's. You're trying to force someone into a desperate state in hopes that you get your way. The problem with making this statement to D* is that you better have ground to stand on, AND be willing to make the switch if they challenge you!!! As I said in my previous post, it also depends on how many "hearts" you have in their internal rating system. Good rule of thumb is to keep your integrity, if you will change, then tell them that, if you're not, don't threaten. If you truely have a gripe and deserve a credit or something special, you don't have to threaten them with E*, plead your case, and they will make it right.

14. Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I used this tactic with Dish Network and was prepared to switch. My demands weren't unreasonable. I asked for the same offer they give new customers. Being outside of a contract I thought for sure they'd comply. They did not...

After I called to disconnect service they offered me everything under the sun for free. At that point it was too late and despite being able to cancel my DirecTV install, I switched on principle alone.

My point... you have to be able to stand behind principle and feel good about what you did. I'm thrilled I did what I felt was right and have really enjoyed DirecTV thus far. In all fairness, many of these companies invite this kind of behavior and despite my beliefs, I understand why people use these scare tatics.

And believe it or not I don't miss Dish. :)

15. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Did you try to tell Dish the first time you called "Do you know who I am? I'm the famous Enginerd!!!"??:lol: :lol: :D :D :lol: :lol:

16. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Dish did the same thing to my buddy. I guess this is standard practice with them?? Wait until someone calls and says close my account before you offer to help them? The biggest problem with this is that I believe that most people call to close their account after another provider has been activated at their house!!:confused:

17. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I had been getting annoying calls from Comcast (and since I'm a cable internet customer, they are allowed to telemarket me without violating our state law against it) so I called DirecTV and asked them to give me a really good reason to tell them to go jump in the lake. I got an HR20, upgraded dish, free install (including running new lines to relocate an existing TiVo Series 1) and NO shipping fee, plus free HD for 4 months. So basically my upgrade cost me -$40 aside from the new 2 year commitment. But I've been with D* since '97 so what's another two years with all this new HD on the way? :)

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Here's a thread with dozens of posts advocating precisely that: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62089

The end justifies the means for some.

19. mjonison

mjonison New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    what are "hearts"???? am i the only idiot who doesn't know this?? "punk card"?? fill me in here!!

20. mjonison

mjonison New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    i'm currently a cable user and i'm seriously thinking of switching to satellite...who do you recommend with all these "tactics"? I may be in the wrong thread but I really need some advice. Service is the key for me!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.