1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How often do you switch providers?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jedi5, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    Curious as to how often some of you switch your TV providers.
    Do you jump around from Dish to Cable to Uverse to Direct going from promotion to promotion?
    Or do you just stick to who you currently have?

I remember reading a few years back that it was suggested that one should always switch providers to go after new promotions.

I went from Dish to Direct back to Dish. At the time it wasn't so much that I was going after new promotions. We had moved and each time I looked into promotions, and I went with the best offer. My promotions have been over for about 2 years now. I'm now thinking of looking around to see what other promotions are out there when it comes to TV.

Anyone else change up?

2. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I have been with Dish for 10 years. I am happy with their service, I also have a bunch of hard drives full of content that would not work with Direct equipment.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive always subscribed to DirecTv. I just recently added Xfinity's 2 yr Digital Preferred package deal in addition to DirecTv to supplement all the missing basic channels and cut the price on my internet bill. After a year, I will decide which to keep, or keep both. Everything changes.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Been with Dish since 2001. Generally I am quite pleased with the service. Changing frequently would mean re-training both myself and my wife. No thanks. :p

5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    I don't switch often. I am happy with Dish Network, my 722K, the reliability and the value for my money. Dish is always giving away freebies like Stars for a year, 3 months of other premiums, PPV, free HD for life, Club Dish referral discounts, etc. Some of the promotions are only available to long time subscribers.

Right now, I have FiOS for phone and Internet and I might consider the triple play when my commitment is up, but it still may not be enough to make me switch because I would have to pay monthly charges for STBs for each of my TVs that I currently connect to my 722K and I will lose the DVR's integration with OTA channels that aren't available on FiOS. If I didn't want to lose the OTA channels, I would have to run extra coax cabling to all of my TVs too.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've had cable, Dish and Direct at different times. These days cable just isn't a viable option in my area except for the internet.

I switch about every couple of years for different reasons. The last switch from E* to D* was because my adult son wanted NFLST and they were offering it free as part of the sign up deal. But overall, I regret the switch because of what I consider relatively poor performance of D*'s HRs. In August when the discounts disappear, I will most likely switch back to E* and pay an ETF, but will still save $240 or thereabouts.

7. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    DTV since 1999 NFLST since with one HR34 four HR24's thre H2x's and one DVR80. DISH cannot provide what DTV can, neither can U Verse or Comcast. Any questions? I have Comcast for internet which does include basic channels that I feed to the sling box.

8. jedi5

jedi5 Mentor

Mar 25, 2010
    I've been very happy with Dish and their service. If I were to leave, it wouldn't be because of bad service. I'd leave because of promotions from another provider. There is nothing tying me down to Dish... like NFL, sports packages, or channels that other providers do not carry. I like their dual receivers but that's about it.

As I said, I was just curious what others do.

9. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Once, when I got rid of the Devil ---uh --- I mean cable and got Dish shortly after they began business.

10. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm not about to change providers and then have to deal with multiple calls at work for how do I do this, Why did you change? etc.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I made the mistake switching to Uverse. I dropped them in 2010 because the service went off one Saturday from 4AM to 6PM when a tech came..

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I was with Dish Network for 4 1/2 years with a basic receiver,got frustrated switched to DirecTV for 3 years,they just did not seem a right fit for what I expected and needed out of a satellite provider.But when I was with DirecTV I got into their DVRs and liked them OK so when I came back to DISH again I have had their DVR service ever since.

Every person is not the same they need to try both satellite providers to see which is the right fit for them as a person's wants and needs are not the same as the other.

Will I stay? when I came back I just felt that I came home and I still feel that way,so the answer is Yes.:)

I have been in DBS satellite for 10 years now.

13. BrianB

BrianB Mentor

Jul 12, 2003
    Every 2 years. Nice to get new equipment and promotions.

14. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    Nice to see a variety of responses. I stayed with Dish for 8 years and found them very willing to offer promotions, including when I needed to cut my costs significantly. However, I hit a wall when I wanted to reduce costs even further by replacing a duo receiver with a solo. They could not supply a non-HD solo receiver. That meant significant installation charges and a 2-year obligation on old equipment.

So I slipped away to (gasp) Comcast for their 1-year promotion and then came back as a new Dish customer with a new dish, 2 new HD receivers and an improved experience. All this was installed for free and the 2-year obligation was worth it. I could stay with Dish for another 8 years. The year with Comcast was an unpleasant experience for the whole family.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You must have used their DVR :)

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The last time I switched, it was from Time Warner Cable for Dish, back in 2000 .

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Been with D* since 1997, have no plans to switch as I prefer the way their dvrs work, and don't think its worth switching to get promotions as I don't play those games that some of you do. Contributing to constant churn raises the rates for everyone and I for one will not contribute to it. If one day I find my service is not what I want I will switch, but I havent found a good reason in 15 years.

18. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    If Dish brought out a 5 (Or more) tuner HD DVR, I MIGHT be interested in jumping ship once my contract with Directv is up.

19. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    I've switched 4 times (from Disk to Direct and back again, twice.) I see nothing wrong with changing providers if you can save some money... My local cable company is offering a 2TB Tivo DVR starting next week for FREE! Might be another option.

Probably will switch again from Dish to Direct as Dish will probably want me to to pay big bucks for a whole house system. Direct will do it for almost nothing.

20. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    The great majority of existing customers will pay no more than $100 for the Hopper/Joey upgrade. Seems resonable and affordable by most standards. Then again, it depends on your definition of "Big Bucks".