1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often do you use PIP?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Shades228, Feb 25, 2012.

How often do you, or someone in your household, use PiP with the HR34?

1. More than once a day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Once a day

8.4%
  3. Once a week

8.4%
  4. Rarely or only used it once to test how it works

13.7%
  5. I have never used it

53.7%
  6. No HR34 for me, just looking.

15.8%
  1. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Now that the HR34 is available to all I just wondered how often people are using the PIP function. I used it a couple of times when it was new just to get a feel for it but have never used it when just watching TV. I still use Double Play a lot but I can't bring myself to watch smaller screens.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I've only had it for a few days but I'll say this, it's a little clumsy but I will use it a lot during football season.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Now that NASCAR season is back I'll be using it every Sunday, and some Saturday nights, to watch the race on one side and a HotPass driver's channel on the other side of my TV. I can hardly wait! :D

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Well, if someone wants to send me theirs I'll give you my opinion. :D

I think I'd probably use it for sports... if I had one. :)

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, I use it once or twice per month. Not quite once per week, but seems a bit more than rarely.

Didn't vote.

6. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    Once a week during football season, after that not very often. :)

7. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I voted rarely but will probably use more once March Madness starts.

8. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I'll bring you mine, be there in a few. Just wait on the front porch. :p

9. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I RARELY watch Live Tv, so it has no use for me.

10. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    So... How close are you? It's getting cold out... :lol:

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No need for it yet. When Baseball season starts, then will probably use it more.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    PIP is one of the reasons I just ordered an HR34. I will use PIP several times a week. As soon as its installed, I'll use it to monitor NHL games while watching my teams game. Or if my team is down by a 2 or 3 goals, swap and watch something else. Then use the PIP to keep an eye on the game. If they start to make a come back, I swap back to the game. When the NFL season starts, I'll use it to watch my teams game and monitor other games.

Just wish the remote had buttons for PIP on/off, swap, move, etc. And discrete codes that I could use in my Harmony an AR remotes. Similar to the capabilities that both my flat screens have now. Will have to use macros instead, which are more cumbersome.

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I had it for many years on my Toshiba HDTV until I changed it out 1.5 years ago. And used it during Football season. Got the HR34 after football season.

So ask me again next September and my answer will probably be more than once per day.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The baseball games haven't started. So I have only tested it out. But when season gets in full swing, I expect it will be a daily thing.

15. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    If it had 1 button access rather than 17.87 steps to enable/disable/move windows etc I might use it more but now it's a nuiscance so I don't bother. Of course a 72" rather than 50" TV might make it better also. :lol:

16. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Only used the PIP feature of the HR34 a few times, mostly just to check it out

PIP has been a feature in my TVs for years and I can probably count the number of times where I have used that one as well.

17. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I used it a bit for NFL. Will probably use it for Nascar with Hotpass.
    It does tend to make the screens a bit small on a 65".

18. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Didn't vote, but I expect to use it during the baseball season. It would be more useful IMHO if I could swap audio between the two feeds without having to swap pictures. I sometimes prefer to hear the feed from the inset game while watching the larger feed without audio. My old Sony tvs allowed me to do that back in the old analog cable days.

19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    With the race today I'll be trying all options but I'm thinking I won't stay with side by side. You're right, it makes the 2 a tad bit small on my 67" TV. I may go with the race full screen and hotpass down in the lower right since none of my favorite drivers are on hotpass this week.

20. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Ditto.
    I could never understand watching or switching between two things. I want to watch one thing at a time, that's why I got dvrs.
    I really like watching racing. Some days I will record as many as three or four races on one day (NASCAR, F-1, Grand-Am, Indycar) and then watch them, sometimes over a two day period.
    This is the reason I never saw any value in Double Play.