1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I have my system installed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by coolman302003, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1 of 25
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Deleted.

2. Jun 2, 2008 #2 of 25
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I may be way off but that sounds more like a custom install than a typical free basic one. there is a couple of recent posts here and in general directv forum talking about some of those.
    I think those 3rd floor runs are whats going to determine the extra.
    as far as costs, I'm sorry I don't know.

3. Jun 2, 2008 #3 of 25
    Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    The HR20 or HR21/AM21 for OTA will work just fine with your HD-ready TV. No built-in tuner is necessary.

4. Jun 2, 2008 #4 of 25
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Depending on how the exisiting wiring is configured and where you have your internet and phone connected, you may be able to utilize some of your existing wiring.

Is the cable currently run to a central location in the house and then split to other locations from that point? If so, you might be able to use that same central location for installing the multi-switch and just switch the cable from the output cable splitter to your TV's over to the multi-switch.

On the other hand, if the cable company has either installed multiple runs from the outside wire to individual rooms (as Cablevision often does) or if you have lots of splitters in lots of places, then you're right that you will need to have some custom wiring done.

5. Jun 2, 2008 #5 of 25
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    When DirecTV advertises "professional", you should be thinking "basic." DirecTV does not pay for custom work; the customer does. A "standard/basic/'professional'" installation is pretty limited, and for the most part amounts to running cable on the outside of the house, and drilling in through an exterior wall to bring the cable inside (assuming your existing wiring isn't usable or enough to get everything working).

Let's be real: if you take your car to get an alignment advertised for $59.99, and they find that you need a bunch of replacement bearings and bushings and tie rod ends in order to do the alignment, they aren't just going to throw in those extra parts and labor for free. You have to pay extra for that.

The next guy, whose car needs no replacement parts, will only pay the $59.99 for his alignment, because all he's getting is the alignment. But there's nothing unreasonable about that; you needed more, you paid more, you got more.

If everyone got custom work for free, DirecTV installs would take 2 days each and DirecTV would have to pay the installers $600 or more per install. Everyone would want their lines wall-fished, dual lines everywhere (even where they weren't getting receivers), and so on. That's not going to happen.

6. Jun 3, 2008 #6 of 25
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Many years ago when we had Primestar installed the installation took way longer than was expected. All they had to do was run the cable into the finished basement, drop a cable right where it came in, and run a second cable above the dropped ceiling and come up through the floor into our bedroom. Somehow when they were running the line to the bedroom, or drilling the hole, they knocked virtually every tile off the grid of the suspended ceiling. Then they got to put them back up.

7. Jun 3, 2008 #7 of 25
    MikeekiM

MikeekiM Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I agree... This is why I do all the finish/fine-detail work myself first... I knock out holes in my drywall for wallplates, I crawl under the house and fish/run RG6, and do everything that matters to me... And when DTV comes out, they just install and aim the dish, and connect it up...

I know that I am not getting all of the labor that I am "paying for" (or "getting for free"), and every installer who has come over to my home is always quite pleased that they don't have to crawl under the house...

However, when you want it done "just right", no one will treat your home like "your home" except for you... For them, it's just another job to get in, and get out...

8. Jun 3, 2008 #8 of 25
    Tiger62

Tiger62 Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm with you, Mike. I pulled all of my cables, installed all the wall plates, mounted, grounded, and aimed the dish. All D* has to do is bring the receiver in, plug it up, and be gone. BTW, that's happening tomorrow! Hallelujah! ;)

9. Jul 5, 2008 #9 of 25
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Make sure you have the cables that go to the modems clearly marked at the second floor splitter. Ideally, they should be put on a minimal splitter.

If either of the modem rooms is/are to have a satellite receiver, additional cable(s) will be necessary.

You'll also need a separate cable for the AM21 hooked up to the HD DVR if you go that way. Note that the AM21 doesn't work with the HD receiver.

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Installers usually only look at the easy installs. You should look at your house and see if there are other options for running cables. For example, inside you might be able to use the plumbing stack to run cables up/down through all three stories. Does the dish have to be installed at that end of the house? Does that closet have to be used as the central distribution location? Is there a cellar that could be used?

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    How complicated/difficult would it be to run four coax cables from the probable dish location to that central closet? How long a coax run would it be?

Option 2: What about a cable wrap on the outside of the house from the dish to each receiver/dvr location, and not use the existing wiring?

Carl

12. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    I would get a hold of your local HSP and request someone to do a site survey to let you know what it will take to get the job done. Rescheduling will not get the job done.

This is what I might suggest; Request a SWM install and run it to the outside cable box, which of course, should run into your closet with the splitter(s).

It will be much easier to rerun your cable lines than running DTV lines. DIY or hire someone to rerun your cable lines through the crawlspace. I am not sure why you need two modems when you can get a wireless router.

13. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Standard receivers can work with SWM as long as they are new enough. There just isn't as much of a benefit since they only need a single wire normally since they only have a single tuner.

14. NYCEGUY01

NYCEGUY01 AllStar

Jun 28, 2008
    Your system can be made to work. You just need the right guy with the right motivation $$$

You mmight have better luck with your local home theater guys in the area. They wont be cheap though. If youre willing to pay to get it done tell the tech when he arrives you realize that you need custom work and are willing to pay for it.

15. NYCEGUY01

NYCEGUY01 AllStar

Jun 28, 2008
    And R-16, R-22, and D-12

16. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    The SWM should be available in your area...if not, very shortly. You would be a good candidate for this install. If the SWM is not available immediately and you can wait a month or so, contact your HSP and ask them if they can use your house as a training exercise....if thats ok with you. Either way, if you want DTV, your best bet is contacting the HSP.

You do not want four cables running into your roof (if I understand you correctly). This job can be done, it just depends on how creative you want to get.

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sorry to say, whoever built/wired your house was an idiot.

Why would anyone put the distribution point for anything on the second floor of an interior room? Thats just stupid. Things break and have to be replaced.

Anyway, what is on the other side of that wall where the bundle of cables are hangining?

18. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So the utility closet has an outside wall, correct? (Looks like it from your drawing). Why not drop the coax from the dish down the outside and into that room (utility closet), then over to the area where your other coax is? That would be a pretty easy install. You do not need to (or want to) come down through the roof.

Put a multiswitch in there, and hook up the coax to the various locations you need. Or, if fewer than four total, just cross connect the coax from the dish to the coax going to the receivers.

Carl

19. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Drilling through the brick should not be a problem. Grounding is a topic I choose not to discuss, as I do not want to give bad advice about something I don't know enough about.

Carl

20. STEVED21

STEVED21 Godfather

Feb 6, 2006
    Care to tell us why?