1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

how to add a client and the cost

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    i have 3 hd dvrs and a genie. i would like to add a client. either swap with one of my receivers or it becomes the 5th total. how would i go about this and what would be the one time cost up front.? is it free or cost something?

2. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You will need to call to see what deals you are eligible for, it could be free. There will be $6/month fee added unless you replace one of your DVRs.

3. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    i got the genie about 2 months ago but was never asked about clients. i would have added some if it knew. i called and they said i already used up my upgrade and now need to pay $99. would have liked to add at the time but didnt know.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Bummer, but in all reality you are just as well, or perhaps better off with the DVRs than you would be with a client. Pros and cons both ways.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It would be nice if they counseled customers on all the options, but they probably can't spend that much time on calls.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why would you want to replace an HDDVR with a client? :nono2:

7. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    well in my situation i have 3 tvs on one wall. its a basement sports thing. and two are behind wall and i can change with RF. but third is the same tv as one of the others. so if i do that one as IR it wont change. so i was going to use client and hide behind tv.

i already have 11 tuners and dont need that many. would also like to have all the same receivers also if possible. but have hr44, hr24, and two hr22s which i hate.

8. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Shocking, but some people prefer a client instead of another HDDVR. Also, they may be hitting a limit of tuners and it's not worth trying to upgrade to another SWM switch. A Genie with HDDVRs as clients is not a universal solution.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    well in my situation i have 3 tvs on one wall. its a basement sports thing. and two are behind wall and i can change with RF. but third is the same tv as one of the others. so if i do that one as IR it wont change. so i was going to use client and hide behind tv.

i already have 11 tuners and dont need that many. would also like to have all the same receivers also if possible. but have hr44, hr24, and two hr22s which i hate.
    The HR44 will work on RF and IR at the same time

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Shocking, but some people prefer a client instead of another HDDVR. Also, they may be hitting a limit of tuners and it's not worth trying to upgrade to another SWM switch. A Genie with HDDVRs as clients is not a universal solution.
    why should a customer be worry about SWM tuners limit? all they have to worry about is paying the bill. let DirecTV take care of this. it might not be a universal solution, but if you already have them, why get rid of them

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Well I already have swm16 put in so tuners is not an issue. It's about controlling 3 tvs. 2 are the same, one is different. Is there a way to hide these behind the wall and still control?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

12. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    If two TVs are the same then there is nothing you can do about that unless the TVs have the ability to operate on different codes (and as far as I kn ow none of them do). It makes no difference whether you have a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client, or whether you are on IR or RF for your remote, the two TVs will both respond to a remote command like on or off. If you are only worried about controlling the DirecTV box, and happy to switch the TVs on/off manually, then any of them will work on RF with independent control.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Some of us dread having to get an installer, the ones I've gotten have not been contributors here.

14. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    If two TVs are the same then there is nothing you can do about that unless the TVs have the ability to operate on different codes (and as far as I kn ow none of them do). It makes no difference whether you have a receiver, a DVR, a Genie or a Genie client, or whether you are on IR or RF for your remote, the two TVs will both respond to a remote command like on or off. If you are only worried about controlling the DirecTV box, and happy to switch the TVs on/off manually, then any of them will work on RF with independent control.

So you are saying if I put one tv on rf and one on ir they will still both come on when I hit power no matter what? If they are same tv ?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have yet to see a TV that uses RF and I think for obvious reasons...