1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to connect my switch to router?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by claymanhb, May 10, 2011.

1. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    So they installed the new one coax wire+ethernet system in the house I just bought, but the installer wouldn't connect the whole thing to my router so I can use on demand, schedule from my phone, directv2pc etc.. I want to do this. How do I go about getting my whole home connected to my router? Thanks!

Edit: After some more searching...I'm guessing all I need to do is install one of these somewhere near one of my 3 boxes?

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177161
    http://www.weaknees.com/cart/product.php?productid=60624

Or, can I just install a cat 5 splitter at one of my boxes and run one to the router and one to the box?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You don't "split" CAT5, you use an Ethernet switch (not to be confused or substituted with a hub) to send it where it needs to go.

If you have Whole Home DVR Service (or if you don't but have all the necessary hardware), you can split the RG-6 to somewhere near your router to add a broadband adapter/Cinema Connection Kit. You then run an CAT5/6 from the broadband adapter to your router (or add a switch if your router doesn't have any spare ports).

3. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks. Can I add a switch between the deca and the HR20 and send one end to the HR20 and one to the router?

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I don't think the individual receiver adapters are set up to handle being a gateway to the DECA cloud.

5. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    Although not recommended, I've had mine set up that way for months without issue. YMMV.

6. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
  7. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    Oh man...I almost missed this. I will give it a shot.

8. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
  9. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
  10. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    That's exactly what I was talking about. I'm glad it works. So, do all devices have internet access now? Can you use directv2pc?

11. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    Yes, my three DECA connected DVRs have internet access for VOD...I don't use DIRECTV2PC.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As Vin mentioned though, that is not a recommended setup and DirecTV will no longer support your setup. By using that setup, you are then having MRV traffic travel over your home network and are not isolating it to the coax network. While it should work, issues can arise by doing this.

Take a look at your order to see if it mentions anything about a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) or Internet Connection Kit (ICK). If it does, the installer did not complete your install and you should have DirecTV come back out and finish it for you.

The best setup is to use a Broadband DECA (ICK, CCK, or whatever you want to call it) and connect that to your router. If you don't have a spare coax available to plug into the BB DECA, you can get a green label 2-way splitter and put that near your HR20, which I am assuming is near a CAT5 connection.

- Merg

13. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    Well thanks everyone. I failed to mention to them that I wanted it all connected to my router. They wanted $75 to come out and do it. I connected a spare GB switch to one the HR20 deca and everything is working great! If I have issues in the future I will get everything set up properly. I now have directvtoPC so I can watch in my garage, back yard, car or anywhere! Thanks for the help guys!

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Did you check your order on-line? If the CCK is listed on there as a line item they need to come out and finish your install at no cost.

- Merg

Sent from my iPod touch using DBSTalk

15. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    Yeah, it's not on there. I didn't know I needed to ask for it.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Supposedly, it is supposed to be standard now as part of all WHDVR upgrade installs. I guess that's still not the case yet.

- Merg

17. claymanhb

claymanhb Mentor

Mar 28, 2007
    Yeah it wasn't on the order. I should have asked them when I called this morning to complain about them always charging me for free stuff.

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Any Ethernet switches in your router or LAN will put a decisive stop to that.

Having access to the MRV traffic is an imperative for the correct operation of DIRECTV2PC and any receivers that are connected by Ethernet in a hybrid system.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'm aware that when using DirecTV2PC that "MRV" traffic is then going over the home network. My point was that DECA is designed to isolate MRV traffic on the coax network and keep it away from the user's regular home network traffic.

With the hybrid system being discussed here, MRV traffic has to leave the DECA cloud in order to get to that one DVR or to go from that DVR to the DECA cloud. That can cause performance issues on the home network.

While that setup is not recommended, it can work and has worked without issue for many people. I was just pointing out the possible shortcomings of that setup so that the OP was fully aware of what they were getting into.

And BTW, DirecTV2PC works differently than MRV. With DirecTV2PC, you are connecting specifically to one DVR and only when you are running the app itself. With MRV, each receiver is always receiving broadcasts from DVRs as to what shows are currently recorded on those DVRs. Thus, with MRV it is best to try to keep all that traffic reserved to the DECA cloud. With DirecTV2PC, no traffic is sent to the app unless it is actually running and you are connected to a specific DVR.

- Merg