1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to contact installer in advance?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rekoil, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rekoil

rekoil Cool Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Hi,

I have a standard D* dish that I'm upgrading to HD. I have an appt scheduled for this week to have the new dish put up.

The issue is that my house four stories high from the ground (3 floors above a garage), and I know that other people in my community have had major issues with dish installers not bringing a tall enough ladder to reach the roof, resulting in repeated visits and frustrations. One neighbor just gave up on Dish Network after install attempt #4.

When I made the appointment, I asked that a note be put on the order that the installer needs to bring a 40' ladder, but I have no idea if those notes actually get read. Is there any way to find out how to get in touch with the installer before the visit so that I can discuss this with them directly? How often to do people run into issues with installers not having appropriate materials to finish the job?

2. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    Call the people you made the appointment with. They can put you in touch with the installer. I hope it's not me.:)

3. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    You'll have to be persistant but call the installation company and get a hold of the person who does scheduling.

4. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Welcome to DBStalk.

You need to call D*. Get the job and order number. They are two different numbers. One is for D* and the the other is for the installation company. Then get the phone of the installation company. After that you are going to have to talk w/ the installation company, maybe multiple times/multiple people, until you feel comfortable you have articulated everything and they understand.

5. rekoil

rekoil Cool Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I made the appt with D* directly - would they give me the instal contractor's contact info if I asked?

6. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    hope your NOT expecting a "FREE" installation for that one

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Problama mas!

You are way out of the basic installation-the free one. Four stories is higher than a 40 ft will reach. The standard charge for a 40 ft ladder is around $100.00 and in some cases a helper is needed to set the thing up.

You are correct to try to arrange this in advance. Installation companies will work with you.

If at all possible try to get the dish on a pole on the ground or at least lower than floor four. These things need service from time to time and you will need to eat a ladder charge each time.......Also consider the published max length for cable runs for the HD equipment is 100ft...gona be close.

Good luck..report how it goes,

Joe

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    As i stated above....they will give you the number of the installation company assigned to your install. Good Luck.

9. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Why are you so negative about this install?

I would expect a free install by what he is stating. It could be a real easy install. If you can calculate the amount of cable it could actually be under 100 feet. The install may not need to go on the roof. The installer may find a better location at a lower point on the house which may be better for the home owner. At least this sub is actualy concerned for the installer that he doesn't make a wasted trip and cause him to loose more money by not being able to complete the install or cause undo time doing the install and possibly missing other installs for the day. The scheduler can make an informed decision about who could do the install or possibly send more than one installer.

When I did my upgrade I specifically informed the install company as well as Directv of the height of the structure before they took the install order. Most installers do not have a 24 foot ladder available for doing a 2 story install on a home. My install was quite easy and the installer was out in less than an hour. The hardest part he had to do was to get the ladder off the truck.

10. rekoil

rekoil Cool Member

Aug 10, 2007
    To answer some questions: The dish has to go on the roof - this is a city townhome with no yard space. However, all my inside cabling is in place - I have a multiswitch in my attic and all I'll need are two additional cable runs from the dish to the switch.

As I said, the biggest challenge will be getting onto the roof in the first place. If the installer brings a 40' ladder he should be fine - there's obviously a dish there now, so someone was able to do it at some point! I just don't want to waste anyone's time (the installers, or my own) or incur unnecessary expenses from aborted visits. Thanks for the replies. :)

11. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    a number of installers (well commercial ones at least) carry a 28 ft (std) ladder on their trucks .... no one carries a 40 ft .. let alone own one

12. PANCHITO

PANCHITO Legend

Apr 7, 2006
    Have you look other ways to get to the roof, you will be surprice how many times customers request 40' foot ladder and they have access from the attic or have a balcony where installers can put a ladder.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Should be interesting,
    And about grounding...? In theory all the cables should run from the dish to a point near your main electric bond where the ground block or multiswitch is grounded (bonded). Within ten feet of that point the cables enter your building and proceed to the receivers. What do you see?

I mention this because this week I have a similar installation coming up with a second floor apartment. The customer already told me it will be easy and to just bring a ladder. I see problems he has never considered.

You are right to bring this up in advance. Primestar used to pay for a Sight Survey prior to sending an installer.......the practice was dropped with DTV for unknown reasons. Most jobs go in but there is still that small percentage that never will.

Good luck & report back,

Joe

14. rekoil

rekoil Cool Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Following up...

The Mastec (D* contractor) installer came out around 10am, without a long ladder. He explained that the company had a 40' ladder, but it was at another job and they sent him out to verify that it was necessary (yes, it was). Around 2pm two vans came back with the earlier installer and two more installers, with the ladder. They got up on the roof, swapped out the dish with a Slimline, ran two more cables into the attic and barrel-connected the four cables to the ones previously hooked to my multiswitch (I only had four cables out, which made the switch unnecessary). Given the temperatures in ATL today were in the high 90s, I made sure I tipped them well :)

The moral of the story is, make sure they know if you have a high roof ahead of time! I'm sure if I hadn't called in I wouldn't be watching HBO-HD as I type.

As far as signal, I'm good on 110 and 101, but I'm not seeing transponders 23, 25 and 29 on 119, transponder 4 on 99(b), or transponders 2, 4, 6, or 17 on 103(a). The remaining signals on 99(b) are also way low (in a range from 20 to 36). I haven't hit a dead channel yet, though.

Can anyone let me know if the above reception is something I should call in and get fixed, or is this expected?

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    rekoil, welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Congrats, good job on your part in so many ways. From identifying the problem to the tip at the end.

The keys to the "are the signals good enough" are how good are the strongest signals on 101°, 119°, and 99° OR 103°. Today may only see one very strong signal on 99° or 103° as all of the signals from those two locations are spotbeams. Very, very soon we all suddenly see strong signals from 103°!

By strong signals anything above 90 is good, 95 or better is fantastic. Don't worry too much about there being some transponders that are 0. They are almost certainly spotbeams that are not aimed at your location.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    sounds like your tilt is off where you arent getting 119

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.