1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to degass HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mgauss7, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 12
    mgauss7

mgauss7 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I just purchased my HR21 unit. At first, with my old 10-250 unit, it smelled a lot of solder for a few days. I am sensitive to that smell of new electronics. I wonder if the new HR21's smell less.

I was thinking of degassing it by plugging it in for a few days in another room where I will not smell it. But just by plugging it in -- won't it just go to sleep in 1 minute? Is there a way to keep it "going" or "awake" so that it it going at full tilt while not connected to the dish or to the TV?

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 12
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Is this a Direct TV receiver? If it is, you should post this in a Direct TV forum.

3. Dec 7, 2007 #3 of 12
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    hello and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!!

the HR21 does not go into a standby or sleep mode on its own... when plugged in, the hard drive is functioning at all times... by turning the unit 'off'... the only difference is the outputs on the back no longer function... and the lights turn off... the unit is still 'running' though... if you think that by leaving it on for a few days will take care of the smell... i don't see any harm in doing so as many people leave their dvr in the 'on' position 24/7/365....

4. Dec 7, 2007 #4 of 12
    glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Never heard of someone ever being this sensative to new electronics smell.

5. Dec 7, 2007 #5 of 12
    Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    I actually like the smell. :grin:

6. Dec 7, 2007 #6 of 12
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    haha... me too...

new electronics, new cars, and new shoes.... can't beat it...

7. Dec 7, 2007 #7 of 12
    John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    I thought that "degassing" was meant to be "degaussing" until I saw the OP's screen name.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #8 of 12
    mgauss7

mgauss7 New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    For your information, here are two diseases that are rare: Electromagnetic sensitivity syndrome and Chemical sensitivity syndrome. Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome (CSS) is more common. It is described at lenght in the movie "Safe" by Julianne Moore. There she is a rich housewife who finally falls to the floor convulsing at the dry cleaners. She later goes into communes for sensitive people.

Many people like used equipment cause it does not have that new car smell or new electronics smell (which by the way is emanating 600 cancer causing chemicals.)

Sensitivity to EMF (electromagnetic fields) is more rare. These people get headaches, anxiety, depression, pain, etc., from cell phones, TVs, LCDs, etc.

I am one of them. If you look in google for those syndromes you will find forums, support groups, etc.

CNN also did an article covering toxic dust from fire retardants in computers. Dell and Apple stopped using that fire retardant in 2003.

9. Dec 8, 2007 #9 of 12
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Me neither..

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    mgauss7,

Thanks for the primer. I certainly have never heard of anything like you described. As for putting in another room for a while. I believe that you can put it in another room and plug it in with no issues.

If you want it to boot properly, you will need at least one cable from the sat dish so that it can boot up into normal mode. It is likely that simply leaving it turned on (not fully booted) will be sufficient, the system will just be looking for the satellite connection for an extended period of time.

Good luck in your situation .. Sounds like you would truly benefit from a venting system that could pull the odors out your media center and into the outside air.

Oh, and :welcome_s to the forums.

11. bret4

bret4 DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 22, 2006
    I saw that show mgauss7. I hope you do not have as bad a reaction as the woman in that show had to things that most of us don't give a second thought to.

12. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    The planet earth itself creates a static magnetic field of about 500mG. (Hence how the old fashioned compass needles move). So, in theory, you're never 'out' of an EMF. That would suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.