1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to display time with HR21-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by skittlebrau, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skittlebrau

skittlebrau New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Howdy all...

Used to be a 5+ year TiVo user with DirecTV, now just switched over to the newer hardware to get all those lovely HD channels.

With the old TiVo's, I could use the Select-Play-Select-9-Select remote sequence to pop up the time on the TV in the bottom right corner.

Golden question - is there a way to do this with the HR21-700? I miss it so much already!!

Timeless in Texas,
    Skittlebrau

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

The HR20/21 do not have that feature.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Only way to get a clock on the screen is by pressing the info button to get the info banner to pop up or going into the program guide. Alternatively, you could always put a clock next to your TV ;)

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I just hit info.. top left corner..
    you could also set the clock on an old vcr :lol:

5. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    What's a vcr? :lol:

6. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    that old box with 12:00 flashing on it :D

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Get one of those fancy projection clocks from Sharper Image and aim it at your TV. :D

8. skittlebrau

skittlebrau New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Well crud... so much for that then. Thanks for verifying the functionality, much appreciated.

9. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, it can't be as annoying as those humongous station bugs that each frickin' network sticks in the lower right corner of the screen. Some of them are just big-ass huge and cover up what I often wish to see. :mad:

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Not many folks have actually requested that feature. Clearly it was something you liked, but for most it's not desired. As a result, I wouldn't expect to see it become a feature on the HR20 .. but you never know.

As others have noted, the best method will be to press {INFO} to see the time and the {INFO} to remove the info bar. This may not be easy depending on how you use the receiver, though.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    One thing people forget that this TIVO clock had was a companion counter/timer right to its left. When watching a recording, one could look at the counter/timer and see at point in the recording you were and thus how much time was left. So if you're watching a 1-hour show and the counter said 43:15, you know you've got about 17 minutes of show time left. I liked that aspect of the clock more than the actual time clock itself.

12. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    It takes one button press to get the time vs the FIVE presses it took you previously, and you are disappointed? :confused:

All you have to do is hit "play" while watching a recording to get the same thing. :confused:

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No. The time (and as Lord Vader said, the current recording time) stayed in the lower right until a reboot or another key sequence.

14. rynberg

rynberg Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    Hmm....I don't get why anyone would want that. To each their own I guess.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    At first I didn't think I'd want it or like it, figuring it was yet another thing on my screen irrelevant to what I was watching. However, it's so miniscule that I don't even notice it's there unless I'm consciously looking at it, and once it became like this, I ended up wanting it and liking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.