1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find an installer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dinotheo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Hi all,
    I am looking at having a Dish installed on my vacation home. It is in Ocean City, MD. I don't know where to look. Checking online yellow pages (searching for satellite installer) returns lists of national companies. I'd prefer a recommendation as I'd want an installer with the proper equipment to get me into the good signal strength range.

I am looking to get a 3 or 5 lnb dish installed to a SWM8 or SWM16 (of which I have both...spares) with DECA (I have all of the DECA equipment) and 3 receivers. (2 - HR 21's and H25)

Any help on where to search or a specific recommendation would be great.

Thanks.

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Is there a specific reason you don't want to use the mover's program?

3. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I am not actually moving.

Also, there is a long explanation for this....but I used the movers program recently. (Not me, DirecTV used it as a last resort in order to have my dish replaced that no service person wanted to touch)

Dino

4. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Lots of people have used the mover's connection in situations like this to get their cabins/vacation homes/etc hooked up. You can use the mover's connection to get all your receivers hooked up at the new place while you are there on vacation, and then take your receivers back home with you and then just call DirecTV back and have them switch your service address back to your normal home address. Then whenever you go back and forth to your vacation home you just call back and switch the service address to whichever location you are at. You actually don't even really have to switch if you get the same local stations at both locations, or don't care about getting locals at your vacation home. The only catch is you are not supposed to have receivers active at 2 different places at the same time. So when you are at the vacation home nobody should be at your regular home watching DirecTV.

Now since you have already used the mover's connection recently then you probably can't get it again for free (only once every 12 months I believe). But they still should be able to use it to find you a local installer and get you an install date setup, they will jus tmake you pay for the install. I'm not sure what the cost is, but I don't think it would hurt to call and at least talk to them to see what they come up with.

5. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks I didn't think to call them. I'll try that.

I didn't want to use their vacation plan because when I pull the receivers to take with me, I don't want the others I leave behind to be "disabled". Mostly because I don't want them to stop recording their season passes. Plus I don't like to call them. It seems like everytime I do so, it becomes a huge chore.
    I haven't looked at the spot beam coverage maps, but I think that my locals will work in that other location.

I was thinking that the install wouldn't be more than $200 labor + parts. (Dish plus coax)

I haven't actually settled on the new place (early September). I am an impatient person, I want to schedule the install for the afternoon of settlement. I am also going to have Comcast there for the cable modem install. Hopefully they play nice with each other. :)

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    In reality the receivers at both location will still work, you just might not get the local channels at both of them depending on if both locations get the same local channels, or if you are outside of the spotbeam. You just aren't supposed to be watching them at both locations at the same time because that is against the terms of service. If you have the receivers hooked up to the internet at both locations and they are both active at the same time then it might set a flag at DirecTV and they might investigate to see if you are account stacking, but since they isn't really what you are trying to do they probably won't do anythign about it, but theoretically they could disconnect your service completely. They do this to avoid having people order a bunch of receivers on one account and place them at different locations to get service at multiple locations and split the bill to save money. For example if I ordered 10 receivers on my account and put 4 at my home, 3 at my sisters, 3 at my parents, etc. and used them all every day.

What are the two cities you are looking at? I think you said Ocean City was where your vacation home will be located, where is your regular home at? If you tell us I'm sure someone can figure out if they are both in the same local channel markets for you. Or you can figure it out yourself by putting the zip codes for both in at this site and comparing what local channels it says you should get.
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannelsFragment.jsp?assetId=900018&_requestid=2740543

7. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    Thanks Beerstalker.

My primary locals are Washington DC. The vacation home locals are Salisbury, MD. I will connect DECA at my vacation home but won't connect the DECA cloud to the internet. As the crow flies my homes are 100 miles apart. If I don't get the locals (Washington DC) at my vacation home, I am not too worried about it.
    If I am desperate enough, I'll put up an antenna on the roof. (Think my new neighbors will love me by putting up a dish and antenna when I move in?) :D

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Since your vacation home is only about 100 miles from Washington DC, I wouldn't be suprised if you will still be able to get the locals over the satellite. However, you shouldn't watch them because that is against the terms of service:evilgrin: