1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find movies broadcast in 2.35:1??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Steve Rhodes, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    We have a Cinemascope screen (2.35:1). At any given time, about 2 movies on DirecTV in the 500 series listing are being shown in 2.35:1. Most most movies, however, are shown in 16:9 whether they were originally shot in 2.35:1 or not. All of these just say HD. Sometimes LB also appears in the listing but it's not very often and most of the time, it appears on movies that being shown 16:9 not letterboxed at all.

How do I figure in advance, so I can record them, which movies will be shown in 2.35:1?

There are many movies not on Netflix that are on DirecTV. While Netflix generally shows all films in the original aspect ratio, I would like to watch some of them that DirecTV has that Netflix doesn't.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    TCM and HDNET Movies broadcast films in their original aspect ratio. With the rest it's hit or miss.

3. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    TCM and HDNET broadcast very old to sort of old movies. We like films out mainly in the last few years.

It seems like such a simple thing for Directtv to include in the info on whether the movies are chopped or not. Surely there must be some way with guide or some website like the ones for the content providers that give that info.

Help

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    IMDB.com gives the aspect ratio the film was shot in, but not how it's transmitted. Usually not a DIRECTV decision; they have to broadcast what they get from the provider.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Except the ppv (including on demand), directv controls none of the aspect ratio. I've never seen consistent data on that from guides of any kind although some are marked "letterbox" which usually means they are OAR.

Starz! is pretty decent with OAR. Hbo is bad.

If you get the channels already, record the movies then watch the beginning for the ratio and dump the ones you don't want. Nothing lost.

Also, I think you can get some info at avsforum.

6. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Showtime & TMC family of networks usually always show movies in there Original Aspect Ratio (OAR) although they do have a digital on screen logo bug that stays present for the duration of the movies (except Flix which only has a logo bug present between movies at times; and is SD only).

7. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    -> What forum on avsforum should I look at?

8. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    I know it is not DirecTV's fault. But I would like to find a way -- either through the programming guide or through the content providers' websites -- to tell me which upcoming 2.35:1 movies will be broadcast in 2.35:1

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    -> What forum on avsforum should I look at?

The question was just asked in the HD programming forum. Was that you? I've seen discussion there of finding OAR programming.

Rather than looking for 2.35, look for OAR conversation. That is more the focus of conversations.

10. kkl

kkl Mentor

Feb 11, 2007
    Lacking anything better, the LB in the description does seem to be the best indicator. The designator also appears to be used for the 1.85:1 aspect ratio which only leaves a thin black bar at the top and bottom and might not be noticed.

11. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    This is why I dropped HBO and rarely watch movies on anything other than BluRay. I prefer to watch movies uncut, uninterrupted, and in OAR, and not many of the movie channels do that.

While 2.35:1 is the most popular format for new releases today, it is by no means the only one that is still in use. Many films are still produced in 1.85:1 and Imax films are in 1.31:1.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I would wager that HBO and others reasoning is that the majority of their viewers are of the mainstream JSP variety which hate black bars, and want all the screen's real estate on their expensive HDTV used.

Very few (comparatively speaking) are like you as more of the movie purist category and really care about OAR.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This argument rages on and on.

And yet Blu Ray are totally OAR and DVD are almost total OAR. Same with streaming. In fact, OAR on DVD was a buyers choice for a long time (prior to HD sets and the 16:9 ratio for 1.85:1 movies) and it beat "full screen."

All the data says the HBO is wrong. But they are not wrong enough to affect their bottom line.

But to claim that very few care belies the fact that OAR DVDs won the head to head battle with fullscreen ones.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would wager that HBO and others reasoning is that the majority of their viewers are of the mainstream JSP variety which hate black bars, and want all the screen's real estate on their expensive HDTV used.

Very few (comparatively speaking) are like you as more of the movie purist category and really care about OAR.

So true, can't stand when I do an install and the customers asks, "how can I get rid of the black bars" really Mr. customer.....

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Was it mostly a buyers choice for standard definition DVDs during that time though, or maybe more a 50-50 split or some similar?

From what I can remember regarding SD DVDs, many releases also had the widescreen option included along with the 4:3 full (Pan & Scan) version on opposite sides of the two sided DVD-10 or the rarer DVD-18 type disc. Nicknamed the "flippy disc."

In fact most discs with the widescreen option in my old DVD collection here are that way (DVD-10s).

So how can you tell which format the buyer really preferred in these cases?

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I think I own three flip disks. they were very early. And there werent that many of them. It was a choice. And the industry saw that letterbox sold better than full. They chose letterbox.