1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get an HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rlinsurf, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2010 #1 of 172
    rlinsurf

rlinsurf AllStar

Mar 2, 2008
    I just tried to order one of these from DTV, but they say there's no way to know which model of DVR I will get. Does anyone know how to get the HR24?

Thanks.

2. Sep 6, 2010 #2 of 172
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #3 of 172
    j4quattro

j4quattro New Member

May 31, 2008
    Order MRV & a hddvr and you will get an HR24.
    Per supervisor at local office that does the Directv installs.

4. Sep 6, 2010 #4 of 172
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Not a guarantee.

5. Sep 7, 2010 #5 of 172
    Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    If your getting a deal from DTV just refuse the shipment if it's not what you want. If you are paying sticker, just order it from somewhere else. If enough people start doing this maybe they will change the way they do things.

6. Sep 7, 2010 #6 of 172
    ethos

ethos Mentor

Jun 14, 2007
    easiest way to get an HR24 is to have it professionally installed. Tell the installer thats what you want and chances are he has one on the truck. if he doesnt he will get you one. works everytime and doesn't cost extra.

7. Sep 7, 2010 #7 of 172
    ethos

ethos Mentor

Jun 14, 2007
    I tried this tactic, the problem is its impossible to refuse a shipment from FedEx when they leave it at your door when your not home. You have to call directv and they have to send out a driver from fed ex to pick it up. Its more of a hassle to send it back that i want to deal with again.

8. Sep 7, 2010 #8 of 172
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Or they'll just start canceling accounts of customers playing high school games. :)

But to answer the OP, an online purchase is your only way to guarantee you get an HR24. SolidSignal has them, Amazon has them and a few others as well. I believe last I saw Amazon had the best price and if you are an Amazon Prime customer 2 day shipping is free.

9. Sep 8, 2010 #9 of 172
    Gladiatorhawk

Gladiatorhawk New Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I am also looking to upgrade.

My 2 non-DVR receivers are the standard definition variety and my dish is 10 years old. So obviously the dish is incompatible.

I want the HD-DVR preferably HR24 for 1 room and retain the older std def receiver in the other room.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is my only option, to request a new dish from DTV?

2. Prefer just the 1 cable going upstairs to STD receiver and just 1 cable to the HD-DVR downstairs. So I need the Slimline SL3-SWM dish, correct?

3. I understand the HD dish is larger and requires more bracing. My smaller dish is attached to the wall not the roof. Can the larger dish be attached to the wall?

Sure wish DTV would get the manufactures to ramp up on HR24s and let us know when they have sufficient inventory.

Thanks for responding.

10. Sep 8, 2010 #10 of 172
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've heard it's been done, but I wish it happened more often.

11. Sep 8, 2010 #11 of 172
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    What a horrible idea. You get what you get. If enough people do as you suggest, and DirecTV changes the way they do things, it surely will not be for the best. As of right now, it is a simple process. Something is wrong, they send you a replacement. If you are adding an additional receiver, they send you one. If you're upgrading a current receiver, they send you one. If enough people abuse the system and jack around with it until they get the exact model they believe they must have...DirecTV won't be so easy to deal with for long.

You don't need an HR24. No one does. If you need one capable of OTA, you'll get one. Otherwise you can get an AM21. If you need one capable of 3D, you'll get one. Other than that...just take what they give you and you'll be just fine. Don't make it worse for everyone else just because you think you need something that isn't all that necessary.

12. Sep 8, 2010 #12 of 172
    MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN Godfather

Aug 18, 2007
    Crystal Bay...
    Order MRV installation. When the installer calls, tell him you want the HR24/H24 series. Most will have them on the truck, if not, tell him you will reschedule until you can get one (politely). Most customers don't know the difference, only the well informed will know about the HR24/H24 series as being the superior new models. I have had many of the DVR's and the HR24/H24 is superior to them all, so far.

Also, a good idea is to "TIP" the installer before the install. A mere $20 and the installer will go out of his way to do a good job. Otherwise, they will just think you are another cheap customer and just do the bare minimum install.

13. Sep 8, 2010 #13 of 172
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    or start charging a fee for this type of practice for wasting everyone's time and causing a installer to lose wages and take a loss on the ticket. Want a specific model - pay the upfrnt lease cost to solid signal, want cheap - take what they give you

14. Sep 8, 2010 #14 of 172
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    The HR24 receiver is in demand for a reason. Directv should be making a more concerted effort to move away from anything but an HR24+ going forward. Directv needs to wake up. IMO, It's only going to get worse.

Directv should do the same offers that a place like Solid Signal does and stop making it such a crap shoot. If someone is requesting a specific model, they know what they want. Why not make the same upfront fee offer? It keeps the customer happy and puts more money in the pockets of Directv.

15. Sep 8, 2010 #15 of 172
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    1. No, you have three options, request it from DirecTv, Have a local professional installation company install it, or buy it online and install it yourself.
    2. *IF* your standard receiver upstairs is SWM compatable, then yes. If the upstairs receiver is not SWM compatable, then you will need a SL3 Dish plus a SWM8 multiswitch.
    3. Depends on the wall, and who is doing the installation.

16. Sep 8, 2010 #16 of 172
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    They already have three companies making the piece, along with three companies making H24s. None of the old HD DVRs or receivers are still in production. What else do you want them to do?

Some people are blowing a temporary product shortage totally out of proportion. In another few months, this whole "I only want an HR24" debate simply won't exist. That's all you'll get, especially with a new MRV install.

17. Sep 8, 2010 #17 of 172
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    you know .. there are other paths rather than trying to get an HR24 .. ;)

18. Sep 8, 2010 #18 of 172
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Why should Directv do the same offer as Solid Signal? Solid Signal is doing that. The online retailers fill a niche for people that want a specific model. Directv has left that niche to those retailers. There's no reason that have to take on that expense for themselves. (And don't kid yourself, there are expenses that Directv would have to pay to change their inventory system.)

19. Sep 8, 2010 #19 of 172
    E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I just had a new install yesterday (the cables were all in place, but the dish etc is all new) - came back to D* after a few years with E*.

Anyway, when I ordered I specifically requested HR24. They came with two units and it all went off without a hitch.

I've heard that is typical for MRV setups, but I'm guessing that if you request HR24 and they make a note on your account, you will most likely get it.

20. Sep 8, 2010 #20 of 172
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Guess again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.