1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to get more " hearts"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjlc, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been with Directv for close to 11 years now.. I snuck in around pegasucks.. and are with them all this time.. ( I bought my unit from best buy).. in a recent call, I found out that I don't have near as many hearts as I used to .. I am not "late" on my payments.. but I have had to pay a late fee or two.. but for the most part, I have kept my same service which is total choice plus ( grandfathered) I have had HBO for all these years.. and have had starz ..I am due for a "free Genie" if I want it.. but right now, I am trying to hold my bill in check. I do not have a DVR.. but I have east and west coast instead..

I was told that if I "upgrade" my service.. which for me would be to PAY MORE for LESS channels.. that my hearts would go up.. or if I added my locals.. What? why? this doesn't make sense..

this is not a rant.. but there used to be "TRUE D* Csrs" here.. ones that actually worked in a call center and not ones that work there in their minds.. if one of you would like to comment. I would be happy to hear it..

I would like to know how to raise my hearts.. because , I have been told, that , you get more.. and are treated better, the higher amounts of hearts that you have..

you would think that 11 years would be enough.. evendentually not..

2. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Good luck with that.

3. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Once you get a dvr you will be wondering why you waited so long. If you want a super duper deal you will have to flip to dish. If you dont care to, contact dtv and ask them to try to match dish's offer.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have no idea if it would increase your "hearts" but one thing DirecTV loves is autopay. Sunday Ticket, EI etc at full price would probably increase them too, though certainly not worth getting just to increase favor with DirecTV.

5. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    What are "hearts"??

6. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    It is CSRs way of figuring out how good of a customer you are.
    You can get 1-5 hearts. The more hearts the better deals you can be given.
    Hearts are based on how long you have been with them , payment history that is to include if you have a credit on your payment, and last what program package you have like the premium package or mlbei nflst nhlci and so on.
    Hope this helped.

7. cfkane

cfkane AllStar

Mar 14, 2010
    And how do you find out how many you have?

8. r028806

r028806 Mentor

Mar 12, 2010
    Hearts propriatary. OP has lower because of package and equipment. Free Genie much more relevant than any hearts. Do not call about them.

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 35
    dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    If you had to pay a late fee your late .... period, not "not 'late'"

This in itself can be why your hearts are lower than previously were. I don't know why this shocks you...

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    On another thread you complain that your free trial of HD Extra Pack ran out and DirecTV won't give you another free trial offer. Now you want more hearts on your account. DirecTV is a business, not a charitable organization. I'm a long term DirecTV customer. I lease two HR24-500s and subscribe to Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, and the Premier Protection Plan. For that I'm granted a high heart score on my account. You want more hearts on your DirecTV account? Try "paying" for the service you're getting instead of asking for freebies.

11. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    Next time you call about something (ordering new sports package) just ask some CSRs will let you know.
    Others will say they are not allowed.

12. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    of course my nemeisis would respond to this post.. as he must in all my posts.. ( he follows me, and since I post so seldom, he must always respond).

well lets see.. I have had ST for the last 3 years.. and up until two days ago, i paid for three extra receivers and the protection plan.. now I got rid of the protection plan and one receiver.. as a way to save money..

I have kept HBO for over 11 years.. and again THERE IS NO GOOD REASON to dump my current Grandfathered plan, to pay more for LESS CHANNELS.. when at the time, it was the expensive plan when I joined.. when I was paying more the others on much smaller plans..
    yes money was tight.. but again.. we are current..

yes I took some freebies.. You tell me some one who doesn't here.. Even Earl said that he took freebies..

if you don't then either you are better then the rest of us, or well fill in the blank..

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The only freebies I've gotten from Directv since 1997 were those free movie coupons back in the late 90's. I pay for the HD extra pack, and I have not received any free devices over the years either. I currently have an HR20, and 2 HR22's with AM21's that I also paid for. Having Directv is a luxury that I pay for, I dont expect anyone to give me luxury items because I dont feel they are worth paying for. I understand its a cost of having my entertainment, and I also understand that for everyone that gets freebies, whether they beg, borrow, or steal their way into them, in the long run, costs the rest of us more.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I asked while on the call yesterday and was told I have 4 out of the possible 5. Sounds good to me.

15. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    You self admitted that you haven't always been current when you had to pay your late fees. This and taking the freebies can have a big effect on heart status. I really don't know why this shocks you.

As the other person said TV is a luxury not the basic right everyone makes it out to be. If you want it pay for it and get the level that balances wants and budget ( it sounds like your already trying to do this by cutting back) but don't make the rest of us subsidize your discounts because you don't see the value in that level of service that the majority does.

I don't ever see people trying to haggle down the price of their gas/water/electric bill or at grocery store and those are truest necessities of life yet people pay full price there. The things that are needed for life should be able to get discounts for those that can't afford not luxury items like TV. Yes obviously shop for best service/price you want for your TV provider but once you pick one pay the going rate, find another provider or get rid of TV all together.

16. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    The price of utilities are usually regulated by government, and the utility provider typically has no competition.

Many grocery stores will match competitors prices. All you have to do is show them a current advertisement from the competitor. So it does happen.

Plus, it's much easier to simply drive to a different store to get a better price than to switch TV providers with completely different equipment. Apples and oranges.

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    All I can say is DIRECTV has put a lot of money into complex CRM systems that are designed to prevent just this sort of gaming.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Also I would view cars as a luxury item and I doubt many people buy one at sticker price.

19. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    That's good to hear.

20. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    If you're due for a free Genie upgrade, what is the complaint? Your "hearts" rating is just a means to an end, to show what you're entitled to as upgrades. A Genie upgrade is probably the most expensive thing they can give you aside from a free year of service. Don't focus on the rating as much as what they're willing to do for you, which is apparently pretty good