1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get ready?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by hatchet, Jun 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    In light of my upcoming install, how should I prep my cable run, if at all?

My home is newer (2005) and has RG6 run throughout. All of the runs terminate into a home run panel. I am anticipating a SWM install (I've ordered an HD DVR, two HD receivers and MRV). I have one unused coax that is on the second floor. I have already fished a line from the attic to that coax wall plate. Ideally, the single run from the dish will be coupled here with the existing coax run (possibly putting the PI here as an outlet is also available) to bring the signal back to my home run panel for distribution throughout the house.

My question is should I prep for the install by going ahead and running the coax needed in the attic? If so, should I get coax that is already terminated at both ends (probably a 50' coil)?

Let me say I am not averse to tipping and plan to have funds on hand whether I prep or not. I just want a smooth install as this has been a long time coming (which I will detail later once the install is done).

Thanks!

2. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Best thing you can do is be ready, have stuff out of the way. Dont run your own wire, let the pro do it... thats what he is getting paid to do plus you will save money on the wire if you dont buy it and if you did take it back. you can help him do some of the work but it should be no problem getting it done with the right skill and tools! be sure to have some water ready for the man if he is getting in the attic! You should have a great install and seems like your are stressing and you shouldnt, unless they send some loser.... i would tell him to get off the property and demand another tech! that shouldnt happen, hope it goes all well and enjoy the MRV!!!! I have to wait to get my account upgraded... dang hsp forms slowing things down!!!!
    Welcome to the blue!!! :)

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your need for more coax. But suffice it to say that each receiver whether they be a DVR or standard receiver requires only one coax. Assuming a SWM install.

If you are missing a run where you will have a box, you can let the installer run it but if you want it dropped from the attic to inside walls, they charge extra for that. Might be $75.
    If you choose to run your own cable, then don't bother to terminate each end with connectors. The installer will do it for you with some very good fittings. Leave a few feet extra at each end.

Good luck

4. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Its not "extra" coax I was referring to but rather the coax needed for the SWM feed coming from the dish, that single run of coax. It will tie into that unused run of coax in my loft that goes back to my home run box on the first floor in the utility room. There is no other way to get the feed to the distribution panel that isn't a significant "custom" job...and I'm not looking for that nor do I expect the tech to do it.

Water, cold water, will be on hand and everything will be easy to access. Like I said, I have already fished some line from the attic, down the wall to pull the feed to the unused coax jack. All that is needed is that coax and I was wondering if I should go ahead and pull it myself and whether to have it terminated or not.

I will gladly assist the tech in the attic work and run that line while he does "cooler" things in the A/C!

5. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    well you can run it if you really want to, you have to remember we use large amounts of wire so what might seem like a big task is nothing but a walk in the park for the tech, i say run it if you want to and worst case the tech (if he wants to or needs to} use your line to tie on to and pull it through, many times i come to a job and the cust thinks it is a big deal to do some kind of weird wire run, when really 90% of the time i can get it ran with no problem at all! i just saying his wire is free( to a point) your isnt!:nono:

make sure you let us know how everything goes in!

6. spmccord

spmccord Cool Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for this thread (and this forum!). I'm having DirecTV installed tomorrow and I'm a little stressed about it. I've had Mediacom for decades and this is my first adventure with satellite!

This forum has been a great source of information, although a lot of it is over my head right now.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The tech will likely use a single-with-ground cable, so let him run the cable. If you want to help, you could run a pull cord through the attic (I'm guessing to an attic vent?) so that he can tie on and pull his cable through. In the rare instances that a customer has done that for me, I've been VERY grateful.

Cold bottles of water are always appreciated.

8. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    That's what I'll do then, have the pull cord ready in the attic out to a roof vent. I already have one fished down the wall to the unused coax.

I have floor boards up in my attic (for storage purposes later) so moving around up there shouldn't be a problem (albeit hot, south Florida :eek2:). I have a roof covering my back porch so the tech can work from that instead of having to work off of a ladder.

Water, definitely :D!

9. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    hell yeah! Wished i still did installs! sounds like somebody is going to have a easy one!:)

10. hatchet

hatchet Legend

May 28, 2006
    Work smarter not harder, especially in this heat!

11. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Somewhere in your plan you included a ground for the dish and coax IAW NEC recommendations, state and local codes.

Yes?