1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Hide Channels Not Subscribed To

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Gatorgogo, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 9, 2008 #1 of 16
    Gatorgogo

Gatorgogo Cool Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Is there a way to hide all of the channels that I'm not subscribed to from the on-line guide? When I was with E* this was a standard feature - hiding the channels not subscribed to was accomplished by pressing one button. Pressing the button again showed all the channels.

The only thing I've seen is the channel locks - if I lock each channel I'm not subscribed to does that eliminate them from the on-line guide too? Is there an easier way?

I have the H21 receiver.

Thanks.

2. Jan 9, 2008 #2 of 16
    bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    No, unfortunately there isn't. The CIR is not enabled or working. Basically what you have to do is to go into your favorites list on the menu and select a custom list and add the channels that you want. I don't believe there is any other way to do this right now. If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct what I've said.

3. Jan 9, 2008 #3 of 16
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    This only fixes the guide.

Searches will still find shows on channels you don't receive, as will recording wishlists.

Hopefully CIR is working soon.

phox

4. Jan 9, 2008 #4 of 16
    MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    CIR is in testing in the CE forum. It's being worked on right now. It shouldn't be long before it gets fixed and is on a national rollout

5. tator

tator New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Is there an easy way to customize a favorites list? The problem is when customizing my favorites I have to know what channels I receive before going into the menu. Is there a way to test the reception of a channel while in the edit favorites menu? Right now I'm bouncing between the menu and live TV to determine which ones are active. It would be nice if there was an option while you're viewing a channel to add / remove it from a favorites list. I currently have a HR21-700, but will be getting a HR20 replacement soon and will have to go through this again. Any tips on speeding up the process? I've tried searching for this and haven't seen anything easier than the tedious steps of bouncing between the menu and the channels. I guess when CIR is fixed it will make it much easier to just 'add all' to a favorites list.

6. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    What I do, print out the channel lineup for the package you subscribe to and have it sitting next to you when you setup your favorites.

7. tator

tator New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sounds like my best bet right now. Thanks

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    CIR is slowly startwing to work...
    I used it last night and it effectively removed all the DNS channels, as well as some VIP/Private Network channels (noteably the Verizon Employee channel).

9. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    What is CIR?

10. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Channels I Receiver/Channels I Get

11. Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007
    tator, yes you can make a FAVORITE, (see ONLY the channels you subscribe to on the H 20, (don't know bout those other recievers)
    it'll require a little work on your part,

heres what i did

1, on your onscreen guide,
    write down on a pad all the channels you like or receive, ok
    then hit the MENU button, see favorites, make up your favorites list, (name it) i have 2

2, After this just go down the list & put a mark in the channels you wat to see on your guide,

as said i have 2 list, 1 is for what programingi like or want HBO starz, TCM, ect ect

the 2nd listing if or the 5-10 PPV, so i can see whats comming on PPV.

then after you set that up simply hit menu & click on which list you want to see on the guide.
    clato

12. Jeradin

Jeradin Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I wish you could iadd and remove channels from your favorites in the guide, if you were all the way to the left highlighting the channel number.... have an option to add or remove from your favorites list.

Hopefully one day

13. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    The fix has been imminent for at least 6 months. It's hard to believe the they're seriously working on it when 2 generations of receivers have come out since the problem was initially reported. :mad:

14. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    The "fix" is so much bigger then you may think.
    The "fix" impacts all the modern receivers... D10 and after.

15. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    The only thing that always struck me as funny about this is that some of the older receivers had a (somewhat) working CIR feature. Take the Hughes SD-HBH and RCA DRD435RH. Both had a function where the receiver would actually tune to every channel in the guide and take any channel that had an OSD out of your favorites list.

It may have been primitive and time consuming, but it worked. It will be interesting to see how DIRECTV implements the new CIR features.

For those waiting for CIR to work, patience. I’m not a software engineer so I’m going to leave the development to those who know how to do it.

The last thing any of us want is for CIR to be released and have it nerf something else in the receiver. Like, say, the recording functions (series links) in the DVR’s.

16. Bizarroterl

Bizarroterl Legend

Oct 20, 2006
    Someone must have really dropped the ball then. This was a feature in the HR20 when it was released (that didn't work). Minor bugs are to be expected, but this wasn't even close to being usable when the HR20 was released 15(?) months ago.

Think about it, the iPhone probably wasn't even on the drawing board when the HR20 was being designed, and it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.