1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How to properly connect SWM power inserter??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Intel, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Intel

Intel New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hi guys

I am doing my upgrade to the SWM dish - and I have placed the splitter and power inverter on the wall. I just need to plug them.

I am unsure WHERE to plug the DISH (cable from dish directly into power inserter??) or if I plug the dish to SWM and then power inserter is connected on "SWM OUT" see pictures below.

My splitter is Directv SPLIT4-Z and has "DC POWER PASS"

- IN
    - OUT

The power inverter has two connectors:

- Signal to IRD (is this the dish or the splitter)
    - Power to SWM (is this going into SWM in the splitter, IN or OUT?)

Thanks for the assistance. :)

Attached Files:

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    The one labeled power to swim requires a coax run directly to the dc power passing leg labeled on the swim green labeled splitter. The ird leg goes directly to the reciever (sat 1). There will be no bbc's in this set up

3. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    You can connect the power inserter either between the dish and the splitter or between the splitter and a receiver. If you do the latter, you must connect the power inserter to the power passing leg of the splitter.

IRD is the receiver. DO NOT plug the "Power to SWM" into the splitter or a receiver. Only plug that end into the dish (LNB).

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Plug the dish into the splitter in the side with only one coax in/output. Make sure the dc power inverter is only plugged directly into the dc power passing leg of the splitter. The ird goes to the reciever. The other outputs on the swm splitter go to other recievers. Sorry for two posts, I just thought of a better way to explain it. If you have more questions, I would be glad to help

5. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    Also, leave the terminator caps on any unused splitter ports to minimize signal loss.

6. Intel

Intel New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Thanks for the details, just to make sure before I plug anything in. There are TWO ways to do it:

1) Plug inverter directly into Dish.

- POWER TO SWM goes to Dish
    - Signal to IRD plugs into Splitter into the "IN" (the single to plug, see my pic)

2) Plug inverter into Splitter

How to do this? (isn't option #1 above the better way to do it?)

Just to clarify, are you saying:

1) Plug dish into SPLITTER "IN" (the top plug in pic)
    2) Plug inverter into the Splitter "SWM OUT" bottom left (see pic)
    3) all other 3 outputs in splitter PLUS IRD OUT in Power inverter are for use in receivers?

Am I understanding correctly? Thanks for the clarification guys.

7. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Yep. That is correct as long as the inverter is on the dc power passing labeled output. I know I sound like a broken record by repeating that... but trust me, if this rule is broken, it will fry the splitter.

8. stevepiel

stevepiel New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Pomona
    Another question about this. We have the same setup and it seems to be properly wired. BUT In the master bedroom, the voltage on the coax is reading 118volts, when checking with a digital multimeter from the coax to the ground on the electrical outlet BUT it reads 49 to 50 volts when the HDMI cable is unplugged from the DVR connected to the TV in the living room. it fried the plasma tv and sat box in the master bedroom when they hooked it up. The electrical is fine in the bedroom. The tv and DVR in the livingroom as well as the other two sat boxes in the other two rooms seem to be working fine. What could cause this? Could there be a problem with the power inserter? Is this a problem with the DVR? I'm completely stumped.. HELP

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    You have ground issue and would cost you your TV or/and a receiver.
    Urgently call electrician!

10. stevepiel

stevepiel New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Pomona
    but the ground on the outlets are fine. no voltage on the ground wires. and it seems to only be coming through the one coax that is connected to the splitter and the sam is connected to the splitter properly. only when i plug in the hdmi from the tv (which works fine) to the dvr does the voltage spike on that one coax that goes into another room. could it be a problem with the dvr? it works fine too though.

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Don't assume your electrical is fine just because you measured its ground with a cheap multimeter. Do like P Smith said and get an electrician and have him give your wiring a once-over and test your outlets, especially those used to plug in any TVs or Directv equipment (including the power inserter)

Its not impossible that your electrical is fine and something else is going on (single nail driven through coax and electrical wire in a wall, for instance) but you need to be certain your electrical is good before you start looking at other potential causes.

12. stevepiel

stevepiel New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Pomona
    Thank you for the info. You're right, the electrical does need to be checked before anything else. I'll have an electrician check it out. Thanks again..

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Agreed. It should not be possible to measure 118V on a coax line under any circumstance. What I would suspect is that your AC neutral and hot are reversed in the outlet, and the coax is giving you a relative ground reference.

14. Bbowser

Bbowser New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Ohio
    After I hook up my swm from the splitter to the cable box can I hook up a dvr to the other legs on the splitter? How do I know if I have a fried splitter?

15. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is a year plus old thread.

You need to provide more relevant information.

16. Bbowser

Bbowser New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Ohio
    i have the same exact set up. Except I have a two leg splitter and I have a genie and a hr24-100 dvr.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmm, you wanted us to weed out through some post so we can figure it out.? This is a year old thread. Id you post relevant info perhaps we can help

18. Bbowser

Bbowser New Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Ohio
    Y r u being so derogatory? I just want some help. I have the same set up as the original post but I have a two way splitter and 2dvrs to hook up. Was that unclear?

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no not at all. But is hard to help when you post "I have the same set up" on a year old thread. The fact that others are not chiming in perhaps could indicate the same sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

20. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Dish/LNB -> Power Inserter to SWM Power inserter To IRD -> 2x splitter in - Splitter out 1 to DVR1 and Splitter out 2 to DVR2. Easy as pie.. I can give no further details about required Deca needed or not without model numbers of DVRs.