1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

how to record a dish network channel on VCR???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Matthewmon, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthewmon

Matthewmon Cool Member

Jun 7, 2006
    I have Dish Network and DVR but there is a movie on the IFC channel 131 that i would like to record on a VHS. How do I do that? I have no clue how to. What channel do I need to have the tv on? my vcr is only going up the channel 74 when i scroll through the channels to record on it? etc? thanks!

2. slackeyed

slackeyed AllStar

Aug 28, 2005
    From the "out" on the dish receiver, connect the cable to the "in" on your VCR and then "out" to your TV.

If you can see the movie on your TV it should record

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Or, what channel are you using on your tv?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    2 different solutions, depending on how much you've done previously

Solution 1 - This method assumes you have told your Dish receiver what VCR you have and have tested that the Dish receiver will control the VCR via IR
    #1 - set channel on VCR to 3, 4, or aux, depending on how you get signal from Dish receiver to VCR
    #2 - Put tape in VCR,, set timer on Dish receiver to VCR for the show you want to record. Leave VCR on. When it comes time for the show, the Dish receiver will change to the correct channel and issue a "RECORD" command for the VCR, then "STOP" command at the end of the show.

Solution #2 - (more general - doesn't assume Dish receiver knows about the VCR)

#1 - Set show up on Dish receiver to either "AutoTune" or "VCR"
    #2 - set timer up on VCR for start time and length and whatever channel you get the program from Dish receiver to VCR

5. Matthewmon

Matthewmon Cool Member

Jun 7, 2006
    my vcr is hooked up to my second tv, the one without the dish reciever right there by it...

6. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Record it on DVR and figure how to get it on VCR when you have time

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    So Solution #2 will work - set the VCR so you can see TV2 output, then record from there.

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    you'll hafta record (on the vcr) whatever channel you've set for 'output2' So if you watch on say channel 74 on your 2nd tv, you'll need to record 74 on the vcr in order to record the receiver output. If the channel is 69 or below, you may need to switch around the vcr mode from ANT to CATV or vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.