1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to remove lock code?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mx6bfast, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 1, 2007 #1 of 33
    mx6bfast

mx6bfast Hall Of Fame

Nov 8, 2006
    Delray...
    Does anyone know how to clear out the lock code on a receiver?

My wife's parents just got D* and on their H20 the mother created a lock code for nothing above pg-13. She wont provide the code to her husband, 50 years old!! Their son is 17. Barring the riduculousness of this, is there a way to find the code or clear it out?

I had him download software by 0246 but it was during the day and downloaded the same version, and it didn't unlock it. I was thinking about having him do a CE for it but there isn't one this weekend for that receiver.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry, the thread title should have a ? in it. Can a mod please fix?

2. Nov 1, 2007 #2 of 33
    beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    He needs to call D*, provide them with the access card number, and ask them to clear out the password.

Then he can set one of his own that she doesn't know about...turn the tables on her. :D

The only way this wouldn't work is if the account is under her name and she put a password on the D* account. The CSR would have to verify the password on the D* account before proceeding.

3. Nov 1, 2007 #3 of 33
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    A remote complete reset would restore the unit back to it's state when you bought it, clearing the hard drive if it's a DVR etc. Try that, it may clear the password. I have never needed a password so I'm not sure if this will work.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #4 of 33
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "I think" you need to enter the code before it will let you do a complete reset everything.
    I don't use the lock, but need to set my remote back to IR before it will let me reset it and "I'd guess" he password would be the same.

Call D* this isn't the first time this has happened.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #5 of 33
    jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Well I would be surprised it would block a reset, since the purpose of the lock is to block certain programming. I didn't know it restricted updates etc...

As I mentioned, I have never used it, or tested it.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #6 of 33
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Changed title per OP request.

7. Nov 1, 2007 #7 of 33
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Moderator's note:

I chose to delete an post which, although it didn't have offensive language, was not informational and was insulting. Your replies to this post have also been deleted.

Any questions, please PM me.

8. Nov 1, 2007 #8 of 33
    RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You are correct. The box will not let you do a "Reset Everything" without the lock code.

As already stated the OP will need to call D*. Assuming he is an authorized user on the account they can remotely reset the password. If not, then he is pretty much SOL until he can: 1) convice his wife otherwise or 2) try all 10000 lock codes.

Good luck to the OP.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 33
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    There should be a "master" code for these just incase something like this happens. maybe something easy like "0000"

10. White_Horse

White_Horse Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    We received a replacement H20 with a lock code one time...like someone else said you can't "reset everything" without that lock code. You can reset the receiver and force a software download but the lock code will still be there.

A D* CSR can reset the lock code or remove it. The CSR we had reset it to all 0's so we could get in and then go through the menu to turn the lock code off.

11. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Even if there were a master override code why in the world post it here? In less than 30 days every kid in the nation would know how to unlock D*. It's not that I'm a prude, quite frankly have no limits on my content, but appreciate that parents have to make this call.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Exactly what I was thinking. If it was as easy as using 0000 to clear the lock code or just reset the receiver (without having to use the lock code), then the lock code pretty mush loses it's usefullness. It seems today's kids would certainly be savvy enough to be able to get around it if it was that easy.

13. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    All I meant was some devices have a "master" code that techs. know and it is sometimes included in the manual.... (my DVD player has one)

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    No such code exists for the very reason the good Captain points out. :D

15. rbean

rbean Legend

Jan 11, 2007
    The code for this problem is d-i-v-o-r-c-e

16. TedBarrett

TedBarrett Godfather

Oct 10, 2007
    Grounds for divorce IMHO

17. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that's overstating it a little. A call from the husband to DIRECTV should deal with the issue.

18. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

19. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It's not DirecTV's fault for the high divorce rate, the rate existed long before satellite. :p

20. bubbers44

bubbers44 Legend

Jan 23, 2007
    I think Jeff was talking about women that treat their husbands like 17 year olds and not allow them to do what they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.