1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW to set it to Auto Tune?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by orbeavhawk, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 #1 of 26
    orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Mentor

May 17, 2010
    NEW member of D* Family here, just got the HR24 w SlimLine Dish installed yesterday,,,,,,,trial run and learning remote operation last night......using all the info that came with it I could NOT figure out what was a simple and convenient feature I had with Comcast ........ having the receiver Auto Tune to a Program you want to watch. ie. watching a program at 8PM......find sommething on another channel coming on at 9PM so I "select" that program with the remote and in upper left corner it gives me options starting with "Record" [don't want to record it] the 2nd option appears to be the one I would think would do the deed but it does not. Please tell me what I am missing....know it must be soething simple???:confused:

2. Dec 7, 2010 #2 of 26
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I am unaware of any such feature on DirecTV. I have never discovered it at least. I just record then delete. Or remember to change the channel. :rolleyes:
    Lastly, activating double play (2nd tuner live buffer) and tuning that channel in advance would be another trick. Then go to that 2nd tuner after the current show is over (if there are no recording conflicts of course)

3. Dec 7, 2010 #3 of 26
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    There is no autotune feature on the HR2X HD DVR's. It's a feature that has been asked for since they came out but DirecTV has not added it.

4. Dec 7, 2010 #4 of 26
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    There is no option to do that with a DVR (non-DVR receivers have an autotune item on the menu). Recording the program is your best bet.

5. Dec 7, 2010 #5 of 26
    orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Mentor

May 17, 2010
    RATS!!! No wonder I could NOT find it described in the literature. Thought for sure with ALL of the many features that something as simple as Auto Tune would have been included. Maybe later in future update to their software...sure hope so.

6. Dec 7, 2010 #6 of 26
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Maybe, but nothing's been said that it would be added. They do have it on the H2X non DVR HD receivers, just not the HD DVR's. Guess they figure if you want to watch the program then you might as well record it.

7. Dec 7, 2010 #7 of 26
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    And you can't schedule an autotune from the online guide either.

I'm an old PrimeStar customer and autotune is the one feature I truly miss on my HRs.

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 26
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I thin the thought is, why autotune, just record it, will accomplish the same thing, ad make sure you don;t miss any of it for any reason, even if you end up leaving the house unprecedentedly.. :D

Yeah, I think they really felt they didn't want to confuse people with both autotune and record options. If thats the case, its never coming.

9. Dec 8, 2010 #9 of 26
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Thanks to MRV, I can Autotune and Record from my both H21s, without any problems.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So, in case you leave the house for the first time ever then, huh? :lol:

- Merg

11. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    It would be nice to have autotune if you have a DVD recorder and wanted a hard copy, so to speak. As far as confusing people, Dish Network DVRs have a separate autotune and they seem to able to handle it...

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Call me old fashioned, but I can't see where auto tune is any better than just setting the DVR to record. :)

With auto tune you still need to be there to watch the show. If you set the show to record than you can watch it later. Why would you not want to record the show?

People who want auto tune on a DVR are living in the past. :D

If you want to record something to a DVD recorder then get a non DVR receiver.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    AutoTune allows you to set up almost a PlayList of upcoming shows to watch without the need to go into the PlayList and play them back one at a time. I sometimes just like having the TV on in the background for noise and if something interests me, I'll sit down and watch for few. If I know that an episode or two of an old show might be on, I would set AutoTune to tune to those channels. If I'm not busy doing something else, I'll watch the show for a bit.

Even on a DVR, AutoTune still has some uses.

Think of setting up a PlayList for kids to watch so they don't need to go into the PlayList and find the show they want to watch. If the TV just changed to the new channel, it makes things easier.

- Merg

14. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    My friends and I watch some shows and then chat about them online as we're watching them. It would be nice to have the channel change automatically instead of having to use an Outlook reminder... I was thinking of moving the dvr to another room and get a regular receiver for this room, but then it would cost me an additional $8 a month in addition to the cost of a new receiver and the cost of the MRV installation. Actually tho, the new 2 year contract is what is holding me back...

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I want it to reset the tuner back to a movie channel after it has been switched by dvr recordings. I do not want to compete with the dual recordings by setting up SL's. Plus currently setting up a SL does guarantee the foreground tuner will switch.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1

- Merg

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I think I see a new app on the horizon!!!

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, if you Recorded them then you could just Select the Recording as it is recording and Fast Forward thru the commercials and when you are done just Select another recording.

I do this to have Background Noise for me and my dogs with the TV off when I am out of the room but now I am watching or listening to what I want and I can FF thru commercials and save it for my wife if it is interesting enough.

I don't think you are too lazy to go over and pull up the Playlist and Select what you want but if you are you need to consult with a Therapist and seek help.

19. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    I do a lot of stuff on my computer and get distracted, so don't notice the time. If the channel was changed automatically It would be nice... The Outlook reminder does tell me it's time to change the channel, so that works for me. I just thought I would stick up for someone who also would like auto tune. Why would people who have no use for it care, anyway? I don't get it...

20. Santana

Santana AllStar

May 11, 2010
    Autotune would be nice when you want to catch something "Live". I have all shows that I watch regularly scheduled to record, but some things are better to watch live. Yes, I am fully aware that I should remember to turn to something if I wanted to watch it badly enough, but I am easily distracted.