1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to set this up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by abaway, Dec 8, 2010.

1. abaway

abaway New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I've attached a diagram of what I need to do. I've never done such a large install and not sure what I need or if it's even possible without running new wires.

Currently there is a slimline dish mounted on a pole in the back yard. There are 2 lines going to house 1 where there is a HDDVR receiver. In house 2 there is a standard receiver on one line from dish. There is also a line connecting the two houses.
    Property was sold and new owner wants two receivers in house 1 and three in house 2, with the option of a fourth and fifth in house 2.
    I know SWM is the way to go but not sure the best way to set it up. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• dtv.jpg
      dtv.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Personally, I would run 4 cables from the dish using a SL3 or SL5 LNB, to a SWM16 in house 1. Then connect the line to house 2 to the second side of the SWM16. That would give you up to 8 tuners in each house, and you could use splitters at each house as needed.

3. abaway

abaway New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Couple more thoughts.

Can it be split at the dish with one wire going to each house? If yes, what type of splitter?
    Assuming splitter at dish, and a swm 8 splitter in each house, will both require a power inserter?

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It could be split at the dish, but then you would be restricted to a max of 8 tuners. Assuming the same account is using both houses, that wouldnt be a problem. If its two separate accounts, that might pose a problem if the person in house two added three DVRs and the person in house 1 had a dvr and a receiver, as someone would be missing a tuner.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If you put everything on a SWM16 and the houses have separate accounts, then Whole Home DVR Service will see all the other receivers. That might be good or might be bad. Depends who's in the houses. If good, go that route.

Or to keep houses separate:
    Out of dish connect a Zinwell WB68 (it has 8 ports).
    From the WB68, feed two SWM8's.
    Each SWM8 single line output feeds each house separately.

So each house ends up with 8 tuner capability and no worry about WHDVR service cross feeding the other house.

6. abaway

abaway New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    It's technically two buildings, but part of the same house (if that makes any sense to you:lol:)
    House 1 is main house with master bedroom, kitchen, etc, house 2 is three bedrooms with a couple rooms in the basement. They're connected to walk between the two at floor level.

Anyway, while possible, it's going to be difficult to put four cables to house one. How about put the swm16 at the dish (safe to use outdoors?), an 8-way splitter in house 2 at the junction using existing cable. Then another 8-way in house one and use the second cable to power the swm16?

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Is it possible to just mount a second dish at the original dish location, and use the two lines, each one from its own dish? THen where the dish 2 line enters house 1, you can barrel connect it to house 2. That would allow 8 tuners in each house, and probably be cheaper than a swm16 and building a suitable outdoor housing for it, and running power for it out to the dish. As it stands now, though, a SWMLINE LNB on the dish would run everything in your diagram, which is a total of 8 tuners. You just wouldnt be able to expand beyond that diagram.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    What is the purpose of the line connecting the two houses? Is it currently doing something? What do you want/need it to do after the upgrade? What is it (I assume RG6 coax)?

From your diagram, it appears there is only one DVR and all of the other locations are HD receivers (but not DVR). If that is the case, and there is no likelihood of any of the receivers being replaced with a DVR in the future, then you could use a single SWM LNB with one line into whichever house is easiest. There you split the line and connect the local receivers and the coax that runs between the houses to the splitter, then put a splitter in the other house and run lines from it to each receiver/DVR. Even with the possible future growth (of receivers, not DVRs), you will stay within the 8 tuner limit.

If any of the locations (other than the one indicated DVR) will have DVRs, then the 8 tuner SWM LNB won't support this job, and you will need to go to a regular (non-SWM) LNB and either two SWM8's, or one SWM16. As noted in another post, run 4 lines from the dish into one of the two houses (doesn't matter which). There you want to put the multiswitches and then split the outputs to feed the two houses.

Not mentioned so far, how long are the various cable runs? Dish to nearest house. From there to each of the various receiver locations?