1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop a recording?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by andreah1, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1 of 42
    andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Is there a way to stop something from recording while it is in the process of recording? I have a show set up to record just in case I miss it but when I'm there, there is no need to record it. Everytime I go into my recordings then hit "delete" it says it can't because it is in the process of recording. I asked Dish about it and they said to move the channel up or down but that does nothing but move the channel up or down while it's recording...I want to STOP recording. Any way?

2. Sep 2, 2010 #2 of 42
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004

What a straight man you are. lol

Push the button with the white square in it. It is labeled, STOP. :)

(Yes, you'll be prompted to confirm the STOP order. :p)

3. Sep 2, 2010 #3 of 42
    andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    LOL, I may be challenged, but not THAT challenged. I have pressed the stop button, it won't stop.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #4 of 42
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Are you using a Duo DVR in Dual mode? In Dual mode the Stop button on the remote only works on the remote matching the TV1/TV2 where it is recording. Here, Record Plus defaults recordings to TV2 and I need to use a TV2 remote for the Stop button. A left field way to stop it with TV1 remote is Menu-6-1-1, cursor over to the Tuner column and change TV1 to use the opposite tuner from whatever is shown. You get prompted about disrupting TV2, but if you say Yes, it stops the recording.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #5 of 42
    andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    THANK you, I'll give that a whirl, makes sense! Yes, we are using dual. Gotta say, dtv was alot easier when it comes to dvr "stuff"! Oh well! Live and learn.

6. Sep 2, 2010 #6 of 42
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Doh. As CABill pointed out, you have to use the correct remote... but the STOP button is the button to use to stop a recording in progress. :rolleyes:

7. Sep 2, 2010 #7 of 42
    andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Stop button didn't work with EITHER remote.

8. Sep 2, 2010 #8 of 42
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Do the buttons on both remotes otherwise control their respective tuners?

9. Sep 2, 2010 #9 of 42
    andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Yes. It's only trying to stop a recording that there is a problem, whether I'm recording one or two programs at once. Can't stop them. Either nothing at all happens or a message comes up "recording, can't stop progress", not in those exact words though...

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    If you are watching the recording in progress on a delayed basis (Not in real time.) and you press stop you will get a message essentially asking you if you want to stop the recording.

All of that said, if you are watching a recording in progress on a real-time basis, pressing STOP will stop the recording after asking you to confirm that option. If it is not doing that, then either the STB or the remotes are FUBAR.

I still suspect cockpit error. :)

If you are watching a live show that is not being recorded, what happens when you push STOP?

You're in Duel Mode so it goes without saying that we are talking about the specific remote that controls the TV that you are viewing. (Thanks CABill. :D

11. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    I see this occasionally. If I am viewing on #2 and it is recording on #1 I cannot stop the recording unless I get the #1 remote, start play then stop and delete. I'm thinking that if you go to the other receiver and start play then the up/down channel error might give an option to discontinue recording.

It is easier to let the recording just finish and then delete with either remote but I understand we all have our viewing modes we prefer.

12. andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    No, not watching delayed time. Watching in real time. When I press stop it asks if I would like to stop recording, I say yes and it says can't stop recording in progress. Then try going into the recordings and deleting from there and get the same message.

13. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    In Dual Mode this is the heart and soul of the control scheme. The TV2 viewer can not mess with the TV1's viewing and the TV1 viewer can not mess with the TV2's viewing. In fact to switch to Single Mode you must go to the STB.

For the OP, again what happens if you push the STOP button when a recording is not in progress?

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    just a minute. You said you were in Dual Mode. (" Yes, we are using dual. ") In Dual Mode if you are watching something being recorded and attempt to change the channel you will be prompted to either stop the recording or cancel the channel change. In Single Mode if you do the same thing and also the other tuner is available, you will see the channel change to your new choice.

I have asked you a couple of times what do you see if you push the STOP button while watching a live show in real-time.

Let me again ask you to do so and tell us if it says Single Mode or Dual Mode in the upper left corner.

Do you understand what the difference is between Single and Dual Mode?

15. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Go to "My Recordings" and select the recording in progress.

But instead of selecting "View" or "Start Over", select "Stop Rec.".

16. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Have you ever tried that in Dual mode? For example, I turned on TV1 and pushed Record on the TV1 remote, but checked the box TV2 to record L & O to TV2. This totally disrupts whatever someone might have been watching live in the bedroom on TV2, and using the TV1 remote there ISN'T a Stop Rec button when I select the recording from the list. Just Start and Delete. If I pick Start, play a bit and Pause, I can go back to the list and get a Start Over, but no Stop Rec choice. Now that TV1 is PLAYING that recording, I can go to TV2 and use its remote to Stop the current recording, but can't Delete it because it is in use being played back on TV1.

Likewise, if I use TV1 remote and FF the in progress recording, it displays Live Mode when it catches up. If I then press the Stop button, I get the dialog shown when you stop most recordings - I'm not prompted about Stopping the recording in progress. Same for a channel change on TV1 during playback of the TV2 recording (or simply watching the same channel live that TV2 is recording). There is no prompt about stopping TV2's recording from "normal stuff" with TV1's remote.

99% of the time I'd agree with SaltiDawg's

You're in Duel Mode so it goes without saying that we are talking about the specific remote that controls the TV that you are viewing.

BUT, some statements are correct only as long as the TV that you are viewing is the same as the TV that is making the recording and they are both the same as the remote being used. Just hitting Stop with the TV2 remote while watching TV1 doesn't stop the recording - unless you blindly cursor left and then Select.

Sometimes, the easiest thing to do is get up from the sofa and push Mode to get to Single and the TV1 remote can control the recording as expected. Switching between Single and Dual can have unexpected consequences though.

It just isn't at all easy to describe all of the possible behavior of the Duo in Dual mode, or the differences seen when watching TV1 and TV2 in Dual. Menus may display different things. Throw in Record Plus disabled and you have another set of rules.

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I don't think she is in Dual Mode.

18. andreah1

andreah1 Cool Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Ok, first, when pressing the stop button I get the title bar and it's in dual mode. I've never switched out of dual.
    The recording I'm talking about now is set to go record on tv2 and we are watching it on tv2 and want to stop it, it won't let me. We've tried it with different things recording, some set for tv1 and some for tv2 and tried with both remotes, both tv's. I'm starting to get confused about the whole thing and pretty much give up.

19. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Did you create it while on TV1?

20. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Me too. I give up.