1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How to Stream Movies with Slow Connection Speeds

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by SmokemanGRP, Jul 24, 2013.

1. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    [SIZE=10pt]I have two HR-22’s and might upgrade to a Genie system. Do any of these boxes have the ability to record streamed movies from a service like Netflix? Or maybe provide a large buffer? We live in a rural area and our internet connection speeds are not terribly fast or consistently stable. A recent speed test resulted in 1473Kb/s up and 3661Kb/s down. I suspect that the connection would not be able to keep up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I have other devices connected to the net (Vizio TV, Blue-ray, Yamaha amp) that can stream but I don’t believe any have much of a buffer, if any. [/SIZE]

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    No but you can record via on demand with directv. Just put shows in the que and they will get downloaded eventually as recorded programs on your playlist just like a regular show.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why would DirecTV give you access to their competitors on their receivers? DirecTV would love for you to buy their movies, not someone's else.. ;)

4. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Because they're nice guys ??????

5. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks. We do that occasionally but the prices are getting a bit steep so I'm looking for less expensive alternatives.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because they're nice guys ??????

Sure

7. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Part of Netflix's licensing arrangement with content providers specifically precludes the recording of the stream. They go to some lengths to prevent viewers from recording the stream, in fact. Your only real alternative with a slow connection speed is their traditional DVD/BD plan.

8. SmokemanGRP

SmokemanGRP Cool Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks, Diana. Since they have a 1 month free trial we decided to try it out. The 1st movie paused several times during playback but the next two worked fine. Maybe it doesn't require as much bandwidth as I thought it would.