1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How to sync the Genie and a Mini

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spidey, Nov 19, 2013.

1. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    SO I have my Genie in great room and mini in th adjoining sunroom. For a football game or just day to day activitties I want the genie and the mini to be insynch so that as I move from one room to the other I dont notice the normal delay. Is there any way to do this beyond figuring out how long to pause the genie??? To me seems like it be a nice feature to have the genie and mini genie sync up for these types of applications.

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yep, the only way to get things in sync, as you guessed, is to pause the Genie.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

3. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Doesnt this sound like a reasonable feature request? One would think I am not only one who has this happen

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You're not going to be able to get them in perfect sync. There will always be a delay between the Genie and client just like there is a delay of ~7 seconds from live to your Genie.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    If this is really important and in frequent use, it might be worth it to run and HDMI cable off a splitter to the other TV.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    even if they were both in sync, your TVs would throw the sync off. as different processors have different results

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The genie shows you an actual live feed of what it receives from the sats, just like a h25, but the mini is always palying out of a buffer on the hard drive of a genie... And thats why its off. No way to change that...

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The genie shows you an actual live feed of what it receives from the sats, just like a h25, but the mini is always palying out of a buffer on the hard drive of a genie... And thats why its off. No way to change that...
    it would appear to me that a show would play "more live" on an HD receiver than on a DVR, since on a DVR, the show must pass through the HDD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I've wondered about that. Even though it's buffered/recorded, it could be passing the signal live, so to speak. Maybe I'll reactivate an H25 to test that....

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    it would appear to me that a show would play "more live" on an HD receiver than on a DVR, since on a DVR, the show must pass through the HDD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Except dtv is the only one I have found that doesn't send everything through the hard drive if you are live. I've had a h25 and a DVR next to wash other and on live they where the same. Just another tiny nice feature of the DIRECTV DVRs It's why it can sometimes hesitate ever so slightly I believe when you back up into a buffer or pause it, because it's switching to the had fees instead I the live feed.