1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How to tell it's using external HD drive & not internal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Joke, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Joke

Joke Cool Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi,
    Just got DirecTV installed today (three HR24-100's). I bought external hard drives (WD20EURS + Thermaltake BlacX, per the recommendations on this forum -- thanks!) and hooked them up. My install process was to cut power to the HR24, power up the external hard drive, connect it to the eSata port on the HR24 and then power the HR24 back up.

I think the HR24 is using the external hard drive, but I'm not sure how I can verify that it really is.

Any recommendations? (I'd hate to start recording my stuff, only to realize later that it's going to the internal hard drive.)

Thanks!

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    power down, disconnect the external drive and boot up. Once you're up record something, anything. That recording will be put on the internal drive. Then power down, hook up the external and boot up. If you don't see the recording you're on the external.

3. oldengineer

oldengineer Godfather

May 25, 2008
    Not sure about the HR-24 but I can check my HR-21 by simply doing a system test and looking at the Internal Temp result. It says N/A - using external disc drive

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I believe most of the HR2x series receives, if not all, work that way as the temperature sensor is on the internal HDD.

- Merg

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 20-700s give you a temp reading whether you have an external drive hooked up or not. The 21 series usually gives you 77 degrees when it has an external drive hooked up (or, I should say it did a year or so ago, I haven't had an external hooked up to one in quite a while).

Rich

6. drfever10

drfever10 New Member

May 17, 2010
    This worked for me....
    * Reboot DVR.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities

*Attempt to change 'INTERNAL' to EXTERNAL

If option exist, run Short Smart Test

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Okay, I remembered something about some of the receivers still giving a temp reading. I forgot about that quirky temp from the HR21.

- Merg

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've only got one 21 left. My son uses his 21-200 and never complains about it. But he's also got a 20-700 with an external 2TB on it in his living room. He just uses the 21 for MRV.

Rich