1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell which channel is in the buffer

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n6nfg, Mar 12, 2009.

1. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    Suppose it is 8:45 pm, and I am watching something previously recorded (not using either tuner). At 9 pm I have two shows set to record for one hour on channels that were NOT being previously watched (so each tuner needs to change the channel), and I don't watch either one of them live, or from the list. Now, at 10:15 pm, is there a way to tell which of the two channels that were being recorded will have at least 15 minutes in the buffer? In this case, I may want to go back and see one of the channels that was being recorded from 9 to 10, in the 10 to 10:15 time slot. I have not been able to predict which channel it will be... Anyone have a clue which one will be in the buffer, or have a confused you :)

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I dont really have a clue what your asking. If you are recording both channels and you are wanting to see something from either one of them it dont really matter whats in the buffer. Just go to your list and start watching that recording and time advance if you need to. Not really sure why you would need or want to know about the buffer when in that case not sure there would be anything available that you are looking for since both tuners are in the process of recording.

3. flynn337

flynn337 AllStar

Feb 27, 2009
    so you want to go back to live TV *and* have the ability to rewind back to 10:00 or even earlier... this should be doable. Just stop the playback of your recording and you should see the live TV channel.

I don't know about predicting which channel it will be, there must be some algorithm as to how it picks which tuner is the "1st" one when there are two simultaneous recordings...

i noticed that there isn't an option to change the channel at a specific time (as opposed to start a recording). the motorolla DCT had that... it was called a "reminder". using that you could schedule a live TV channel at the end of your recordings.

4. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    That would be an 'autotune' feature, which I believe is on the wishlist for the HRs.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    There are not two live buffers on the HR2x series. Only one (non-recording) show will buffer. But since you're recording both shows then both are "in the buffer" and you can rewind both.

6. jgrade

jgrade Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Very confusing, but I think it's a simple answer. If you are not watching any of the recorded content, then the program currently playing "live" is the one in the buffer (so to speak). Since the HR2X only has one buffer for "live" viewing, then what you see is what is in the buffer.

So... You get to the end of the program previously recorded or press exit. The program playing in the window or "live" is the one in the buffer. Although it makes no difference since both are on the drive. The only difference is that the one that is "live", you can rewind 15 minutes without having to go to the list first and fast forwarding to the point you want.

7. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    I've got it! You don't even have to exit whatever you're watching. If you are simply viewing a program (not in a GUI) press the blue button. Whatever channel comes up in the mini-guide, is the channel that is buffered.

Another use of the mini-guide! (some don't see the value of it...)

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, I think that's what he's asking, but I believe he's also wondering if there's a way to predict/know which one of the 2 channels that just recorded, live TV will go back to (without stopping the current recording).

In other words, if channel 5 and 8 both start recording at the same time and end at the same time (and neither channel was on before the recording time started), will the channel be left on the lower channel number, the higher number channel, is there some other formula, or is it all random?

9. flynn337

flynn337 AllStar

Feb 27, 2009
    nice find - so that's how you can tell which it is.

back to his original question - how can you *predict* what it will be before or during two recordings (prior to 10:00)? is it the lowest channel? the channel for the highest priority recording? ...?

10. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I would think it would be on whatever channel had the higher priority recording according to the prioritizer.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I really don’t think there is a way to tell.

I have seen situations where it has actually been on the channel that was previously on the live tuner even though it wasn’t one of the two shows being recorded.

Honestly, I’ve only seen this since I installed SWM.

I’ve also seen where recorded was being watched and the live tuner winds up on one of the two new channels.

I think it all depends on the situation and the configuration. :)

Mike

12. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I vote for "lower channel number" in this exact instance, where there are only two recordings that are exactly concurrent. I used to have first-run Series Links for both "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" on Channel 2 and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on Channel 4 -- both ran from 12:37 to 1:36. Assuming both had recorded (i.e., both were new episodes), I would always see Channel 2 when I turned on the TV the next morning. (Actually, I guess there's a chance it's based on alphabetical order by channel name -- KCBS taking priority over KNBC.)

That said, I'm now expecting an avalanche of anecdotal evidence from people who've seen different behavior. :D

13. rob5819

rob5819 AllStar

May 25, 2007
    If I understand the question correctly I believe the tuner will be on whatever channel you were watching before the two shows were recorded.

Here is what I have seen in similar situations. I have the dvr on a music channel prior to two shows being recorded at the same time. After the two shows are done the dvr is back on the music channel. Since I obviously wasn't recording the music channel it had to return to that channel after the recordings. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it is a great feature for me.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, you might be right, but I found something else strange.

One of our DVR's (mainly for the kids) is always on channel 301 (Noggin). Tonight is a busy recording night for us, so we use the kids DVR to record shows during prime time.

The DVR was on 301 all day. At 8:00, 2 things recorded: Grey's Anatomy from 8:00 - 9:02, and CSI from 8:00 - 9:01. Then 2 more things started recording: Private Practice from 9:02- 10:00 and ER (Manual) from 9:02 - 10:00

So, basically the DVR was on 301 and then switched to record on both tuners from 8:00 - 10:00. I just went to that DVR to see what channel it was on. It's on channel 301 (where it was originally). Now for the odd part:

There is no buffer. One of my kids taped shows was paused, so I exited to go to live (and found channel 301), but I can't rewind past the time when I exited the recording (2 minutes). Weird.

15. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    Ok, sounds like most of you finally figured out what my "poorly worded" question really was. Sorry for the bad explanation, but yes, I was hoping to be able to predict what channel was tuned to in the active buffer when both the concurrent recordings was over.

Sounds like there isn't a good prediction for this yet, or ever...

Thanks for the discussion :)

16. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    The tuner should be on the channel that was live before, during and after recordings finish. You can rewind on live channel 1 1/2 hours back.

17. n6nfg

n6nfg AllStar

Feb 1, 2008
    Just to clarify again, the channel tuned to before the two simultaneous recordings started at 10pm is NOT one of the ones being recorded, so the active buffer of 1 1/2 hours cannot be still containing the channel before the recordings started.

If for some reason the DVR active buffer returns to the previously watched channel before recording took place (and not left on one of the just recorded channels), then there could only be 15 minutes in the buffer (from 10 pm to 10:15 in this example).

The response summary from the postings seems to be one of three choices for the active buffer after recording is over:

1. Return to the channel in the buffer before the recordings started, in which case only 15 minutes would be available at 10:15, from 10 to 10:15.

2. Keep the active buffer on the lowest number channel of the two being recorded, which would then contain 1 hour and 15 minutes of this channel at 10:15.

3. Keep the active buffer on one of the two channels that were recorded, with no obvious way of determining which channel that would be. What ever channel that was would have 1 hour and 15 minutes in the buffer at 10:15.

18. ghfiii

ghfiii Mentor

Mar 25, 2005
    I have seen this multiple times since the last update -- never saw it before. Now wait for it, someone will say that it has happened to them ever since they got an HR, and someone else will say it never happens on theirs :D

19. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    As the HR20 originally functioned, the buffer would dump for everything other than watching live TV. Watch a recording, go back to live TV: no buffer. Turn power off (standby): back on, no buffer.

Then they enabled it to hold the buffer IF you paused the recording before viewing a recorded show. However, it did not actually hold the pause point when you exited the recording! You could rewind to see the buffer, and we were grateful for that. (Do you see why TiVo users hated the HR20 initially?)

Now and for the last 2 years or whatever, if you pause live TV before viewing a recording, it should begin playing (IT WON'T STILL BE PAUSED, but at least your place is saved!) live TV from the point you paused it, UNLESS it had to use that tuner to record something on a different channel (2 timers set at once). In that case, it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll have a buffer on that new channel after it stops recording a timer.

20. tjbtexas

tjbtexas Cool Member

Nov 3, 2006
    My thoughts:
    the live buffer would be associated to the "Second" channel change to record, based on "record 2 things on other channels than live before recording".
    I would base it on how the DVR acts when you are watching the TV and the recordings are going to start. 1st recording just starts. Before the second starts the DVR posts the dialog "Needing to change to channel 'n' to record". I would think that that channel change would have the live buffer. It would if you stayed watching live and let the DVR switch channels to record.

:>)