1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to uninstall AM-21?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jasonblair, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jasonblair

jasonblair Icon

Sep 5, 2006
    My mother lives in Terre Haute, IN, and has an HR-23 with AM-21 attached. The DVR was horribly sluggish with the AM-21, but it was her only option... until this week.

Now that DirecTV offers Terre Haute locals, I unhooked her AM-21, and reprogrammed her DVR to record shows only from the satellite rather than the tuner. I then reset the receiver.

I noticed that even after the reset, the setup menu still read "SAT & ANT" rather than "SATELLITE." I then went into Antenna Setup, but saw no way to get rid of an antenna. Just to be safe, I reset the receiver again.

Now that I am back in DC, my mother called me saying that when she is watching her shows, a message keeps popping up on the screen that something is wrong with her OTA tuner. (Obviously, since I unhooked the AM-21.)

So how do you properly reset the box to uninstall the AM-21?

Thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The only way I know, is to do a "reset everything", wiping the drive along with resetting all the defaults back to the factory settings.

I pulled my AM21 from my HR21 and didn't have problems, but under the setup information screen it showed the AM21 as disconnected, so it still "remembered" it had been there.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I think you can also go into the antenna setup menu and select an option to "reset settings"

I'm pretty sure that's what I did with my HR23 when I moved it to another room where I wasn't using an antenna. I don't recall wiping the entire receiver via a reset everything.

Now I don't know if the antenna reset works with the AM21 already removed, but it's worth a try before jumping to the reset everything option.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Reset Settings

5. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm going to be removing the AM21 from one of my HR21s. Should I do the Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Reset Settings first and then physically disconnect the AM21? Or should I disconnect the AM21 first and then do the Menu > System Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Reset Settings?

Thanks.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't think it matters. I would do it first, though.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This doesn't change "Sat&Ant" to "Satellite" but in all other ways it will remove the AM21. Just ignore the setting on the menu.

8. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Or remove the AM21, and go into the Edit Screen for selecting theOff Air channels individually and uncheck all the boxes. Then the channels won't even show up in the guide any longer. Effectively making the viewing experience Sat only as desired.

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    When I moved the AM21 from the HR23 to the HR24 all I did with the HR23 was to do the Reset Settings in the antenna setup menu.