1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How to use Dish remote to control sound sytem

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bwschafer, Feb 12, 2013.

1. bwschafer

bwschafer New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I just switched from Direct to Dish. On the Direct remote I could control Direct TV and my Bose sound system in the sat mode. With my Dish remote I have to toggle back and forth between SAT and AUX to control the sound. Hugely inconvenient. Is there anyway to use the SAT mode to control both functions with the Dish remote? The guy who installed the system says there is not.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What DISH receiver model number for remote?

3. DanB_DISH

DanB_DISH DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 8, 2011
    There is a way to do this depending on the receiver you have. Please send me a PM so that I can assist you with this.

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I have a Hopper w/sling and a standard dish remote that came with it. Can someone lead me through how to do this?

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    When I had my Hopper I asked the installer to programme my remote for all my devices. Him did that and only took him literally less that two minutes.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

6. Blueflash

Blueflash New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    The technical name is VPT Volume Pass Through.
    It allows you to have the volume under Sat. default to AUX instead of TV (wich is programmed from the factory)

For hopper/joey
    try menu , remote manager, volume, aux , save

for others without menu settings you have to do on the remote itself.

to change it:
    hold AUX
    wait for all mode button flash
    Press (#)
    Press (volume +)
    Press (0)
    Press (#)
    Press SAT
    Press (volume +) and (volume -)
    To go back to the TV as default do the same thing but start off holding TV instead of AUX.

7. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks. Works perfect. Now if I could only power off my AV receiver without having to use the AUX button.

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006