1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will Directv recover from this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cajunbug, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cajunbug

cajunbug AllStar

Jan 27, 2007
    I think directv will have a big problem over the next few months. They promised all these HD channels and assumed that their outsourced installers where properly installing the systems.

Now you have all kinds of average folks with diplexers, etc installed in their homes and are not getting the proper signals. I spoke with about 10 co-workers and friends that have this problem tonight! A few have the h20 and are getting none of the new channels and have been on the phone all night with directv.

If directv does not quickly figure out an easy install, single wire solution that can be done by the do it yourselfers, the increase support calls will sink the install companies.

2. Hoffer

Hoffer AllStar

Jun 18, 2007
    Yeah, I have a feeling they are going to be swamped with CS calls from the people with diplexors.

I called 3 weeks ago because my HD locals quit working. A guy came out less than a week later to realign the dish. I called late this afternoon and they are sending out a guy, but not for 2 weeks. I think I'll have it fixed myself before that, but that is a crazy long wait.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The SWM (single wire multiswitch) is currently in trials with select members of DBSTalk. It's coming for the rest of us, just don't know exactly when though.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The install companies knew up front they couldn't use diplexors, but didn't do the job right. As with all companies in America, you will got broke and out of business if you don't do it right. I just hope D* has a contract with these companies so D* doesn't have to pick up the tab for all the recalls.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Figure out?" it's called a SWM and is due out soon. It may not be for DIY installs but it's on the way.

6. solomita

solomita Mentor

Nov 17, 2005
    I had to do my own quick-repair to remove the OTA diplexor. When the installer put up the new AT9 they didn't remove the diplexor, so I removed it from both indoors and the roof.

7. cajunbug

cajunbug AllStar

Jan 27, 2007
    Think of this situation.....68 year old man with bad back....watches tv all day....can get cable with dvr and fair number of hd channels....or he can try to fix his directv with something called a swm that requires all kinds of set up in his 35 year old house or wait weeks for the fix that will be after several football games he wanted to see......

the cable companies will eat this up and the masses will be pissed shortly! especially those who switched recently!

8. masmith

masmith Mentor

Dec 7, 2006
    Same thing happened to me, and I am screwed.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately for grandpa, he's probably smack in the midst of a two year commitment, so it will cost him a pretty penny to switch to cable now.

It will certainly be a problem if installers had disregarded the information out there about not diplexing with the AT/AU9 dishes.

Truth be told, though, as much as it sucks to have to wait until an installer can come out, the channels will still be there for the SD feeds - it's just the HD counterpart that will be down until the fix is done - not like he's completely losing programming.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't think you understand how a SWM works.
    It's made to work with older house wiring so SAT feeds can use the older CATV wiring.
    I have a SWM and don't know what you mean by "requires all kinds of set up in his 35 year old house".

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Hey I resemble that remark

12. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I don't think you are understanding what people are telling you about the simplicity of the SWM, and the fact that it is designed to be used with existing wiring that might already be in the 35 year old house. It makes wiring for satellite just about as simple as for cable.

13. purtman

purtman Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2006
    The OP is right. How will D* recover? I think we'll all be stuck with worthless equipment in a few months as D* goes under.

Has this site become the "exaggeration site"? Let's get real here. "How will D* recover from this"? Are you serious? Do you really think it is having a bad situation?

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    D* won't go under but Ironwood and others that took shortcuts and didn't follow procedures might find themselves looking for work at Comcast.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Oh, oh. This is one of those threads where emotion has taken over. Ranting and venting are very much permitted, especially as well controlled as these posts are. Nothing wrong with ranting and venting, we need to get it out every so often.

Foolishly, I hope I can bring some reality back into this thread. Why, after VOS and bwaldron have done a great job do I think I might be able to? Foolishness. :)

First off, today was not something DIRECTV needs to recover from. "Hi, my name is DIRECTV and I've been off SD for 30 days." :) The call centers were not overwhelmed, no installers were shot trying to escape from mistaken installs, and no animals were harming in the writing of this post.

Yes, as more and more people realize new HD, DIRECTV will be busy with calls. But no matter what, they would be busy with calls. If for no other reason to get the new HD. Yes, there will be some who will need alignments, diplexers removals, and switch replacements, but again, not at a level to be "recovered from."

Now, how many 68 year old grandpas with bad backs call cable and instantly have service. I've always had to call for an install. Sometimes it can be done at the plant, many times the installer had to come out to open the floodgates.

How many 68 year old grandpas have to DIY DIRECTV? While I have done all my installs myself, I never needed to. And my dad has had his installed, didn't have to lift a finger--except to call DIRECTV. :)

For a very long time, DIRECTV'ers have had single wire solutions from 3rd party companies. Yes, there often is a lag between a new dish configuration and single wire solution, but 3lnb single wire exists today and 5lnb is currently in trials, this time completely engineered by DIRECTV. Be available by the end of the year. Won't be DIY immediately, but you know it will be someday.

Speaking of SWM, it will be the simplest install for DIRECTV. Not a huge setup as you imply. (BTW, why is that?) It could be easily installed in any house that has existing coax.

I'm sorry that something is not yet right in your installation. It happens. And it is fixable.

If you have arranged service from DIRECTV and the scheduled date is more than a week out, you often can use directv.com to move up the date.

In any case, I hope you get up and running soon.

Good luck,
    Tom

16. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, the truth of the matter in my personal situation is that my 63 year old dad will neither notice nor care. He has a 27" SD TV from many, many moons ago and doesn't plan on getting a new TV until it dies. HD means literally nothing to him.

This might cause you to go :eek: (I know it does me), but this is the fact. It's more likely that grandpa just wants his station (which hasn't changed) than it is that he wants his HD.

17. puckhead

puckhead Legend

Sep 21, 2007
    I suspect "Going under" is a little much, considering only a small percentage of their base customer subscribes to HD.

However, DirecTV should be concerned about recent installs (since the "coming soon: more HD than anyone" marketing blitz) being performed inadequately. At the very least I would hope pressure is put on the installers. As word gets out about the launch, people will not enjoy spending hours waiting on hold, testing channels, unplugging, etc. It just tells the customer, DirecTV is complicated and unreliable. A difficult stain to remove from the "Brand"no matter how small the audience.

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Doug, I've met this man, many times over. :) My (step)dad didn't get pay-tv until I gave him DIRECTV for a couple years, a few years back. After a recent move back to WI, he's actually paying for cable! But none of that HD stuff. His SD TV is just fine for him; even tho he does admit my HDTV does look pretty good. :)

And I know others who won't have to recover from today and since they have DIRECTV, they won't have to recover from February 18, 2009. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Except that the overwhelming majority of us have not had the problems being whined about.

My AT9 has been up on the roof since I got the HR20 a year ago. Damned if I know whether or not the diplexor is in place. The very competent dude who installed it never mentioned removing anything when he took it out of the box.

My system runs fine. Got lots of new channels and - best of all - the stuff originating in true 1080i is coming out of my HDTV in 1080i, too.

And I'm 69 years old.

DirecTV is mostly going to be busy putting up Slimlines and hooking up H20's and HR20's. I know I'm ready to get a second rig.

20. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Hey go easy on your dad :) I felt exactly the way he did until I had been on this Forum for several months. All the great posters here helped me to know what exactly it was that I was missing by not having HD TV :sunsmile: I can never thank all of you enough :goodjob:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.