1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will they add a drop w/o outside access?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dervari, Sep 27, 2009.

1. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    I need to add another drop to my basement. Unfortunately, there is no outside wall for them to drill through. My question is, how will they handle this situation? I have a single drop in the basement, but am replacing that receiver with an HR unit which is SWM compatible. Will they blow me off or would I get some sort of SWM hardware (switch or dish)? I know the rules are supposed to be for new customers only, but there has GOT to be exceptions where they will use the sWM hardware rather than tell a customer "sorry, no go".

2. Extreme2KEclipse

Extreme2KEclipse Legend

May 28, 2007
    How does your existing drop make it to the basement? The installer will most likely follow the same path.

If you want SWM, best bet is to buy your own LNB and install it.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    How do you have a basement without an outside wall? There should be 4 outside walls on the house.

4. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Ok, EXPOSED outside wall. I'm not going to let them dig down under the soil and drill. That's an invitation for a wet basement and termites.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The answer is that they'll drill through the outside wall of the 1st floor and then through the floor to get into the basement.

6. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    So you're telling me they'll bring a cable into my formal dining room and then drill through the hardwood floor? Oh HE** to the no. My wife would go ballistic.

You have GOT to be kidding....I'd have a cable jutting out of the wall and into the floor?

7. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Nobody (in their right mind) would drill below grade to get into a basement for wiring, so you won't have to worry about this. Some additional detail can probably narrow this situation down for you. Here's some quick questions:

1) Where does the existing cable enter the basement?
    2) Is the basement finished? Drywall ceiling or accessible ceiling?
    3) Can a new cable be run next to the existing cable; if not, why not?
    4) Where in the basement does the cable need to end up? Interior room in basement, etc

If all else fails the foundation walls of the basement will be above grade at some point. This means that you can drill (above grade) but below the house's main level to get to the basement and not worry about much. Post back and we'll prob be able to help more...

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I suspect in this case you will need to go buy your own SWM for this since you have no other way to get to the basement from the outside and it wouldnt be a standard install.

9. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    1) Cable race from the attic, It's chock full with Cat5, Coax, and Fiber at this point. Don't think another RG6 would fit

2) Finished with a drop ceiling

3) No. It's a 2 story drop from the attic and the cable race is full

4) A front wall, and the dish is mounted on the back side of the roof

The basement is partially above grade in the front, but that would require a wire to run over the top of the roof and then down the front of the house. I'm not sure 100' would do it. Not sure it would pass the WAP either. There is part below grade in the back, but it's on the other side of the house from there the dish is, and is covered by a deck. Not sure the installer would do that with all the creepy crawlies that I'm sure live under there.

10. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    Do you think I'd be able to get any concession from DirecTV on this? I can't see why they'd rather have an installer spend 90 minutes installing a Zinwell and running new cable when it could be accomplished in 10 minutes with a SWM.

Is there even an existing SWM retrofit for the AT-9 (Sidecar) dish? All the ones I've see are for the Slimline.

If I did break down and buy one before the install, would having the installer put it in be consideed part of the "basic" install?

11. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Probably not, but it never hurts to ask. Unfortunetely D* doesn't really care about an installer's time on the job...

The SWM8 will work, but the SWMLnb is for the slimline dish. Even if you wanted to add a slimline dish and SWMLnb (aka SWMLine) all of your receivers would need to be SWM compatible.

Once again you never know, but in general techs only install what is on the workorder and SWM8's are not supported for residential installs at all. Asking a tech to install a SWM8 may cause him to flee the scene, and installing one yourself may cause you headaches for any future service calls since they are unsupported...

Since the dish is on the backside of the house a tech could drop the cable down the back and around the side until reaching the front where they would drill into the foundation. This is the likely scenario in this case.

12. dervari

dervari Icon

Dec 1, 2005
    At this point I'm about to say screw it. They seem more about new customers than customer retention. I'm not going to pay out of pocket $100+ for a new dish or SWM-8 just so I can give them more $$$. I guess I could get the protection plan and shoot 110vac up the coax and see that that does to the LNB. LOL J/K....maybe. :)

They can't run the cable around the house explosed because the dog will get it! I know this from personal prior experience, unfortunately.

13. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You have to be reasonable. They are not going to just throw hundreds of dollars of equipment at you to get an additional $5 dvr/lease fee. Just FYI dish and switch equipment is yours (it's owned, not leased). It seems that every potential solution that comes up you have some way to negate it. DirecTV isn't going to rewire your house for you (and neither would Dish or a cable company)

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    DirecTv doesn't really care if it takes the installer 90 minutes or 8 hours to finish your job. In most cases, the installer is on a piece rate. So time is important to him but not DirecTv. So yes, they would rather him take the time to do it vs paying for a SWiM LNB.

Feel free to blow up your dish and commit fraud. :rolleyes: They will replace it (although they shouldn't) with a regular LNB, not a SWiM.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Nor would any other service industry. It seems to be only TV that people feel so entitled to...

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Just let the clock run out. In the near future all new installations involving HD will be SWiM. It won't be too long after that before all HD upgrades will be SWiM also. Just upgrade to an HDDVR in a few months, and viola!

Other than that, yes Our time is our own. And if you were my cx, I'd shoot you down. I need to keep food on the table too, and spending ALL DAY making $25 just isn't going to happen, I don't care if you're Will Farrell.

17. VandyCWG

VandyCWG Godfather

Dec 18, 2006
    When your Tech comes out....
    Just ask nicely for a SWiM setup.

That's how I got mine. I had a problem with a coax, we ended up replacing the entire line.

But before that, I asked about SWiM and if I could get it on my setup. He was surprised I knew what SWiM was and said he would do it, because I had 2 DVRs and was thinking of a third.

Basiically....just ask, they can only say no.