1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

How would you do it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Snapaniac, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Snapaniac

Snapaniac Mentor

Sep 14, 2010
    I just built a new house and had the entire place wired for CAT6 networking. I have a Genie in the living room and 3 HR24s in other bedrooms. I have SWIM 16 installed. The installer left without installing the "connected home adapter" (I'm guessing it's the DECA Broadband).

Question is, can you (and would you) just plug the ethernet cable into the back of the Genie for internet access? Or would you use the DECA Broadband adapter? If you used the ethernet cable to the back of the genie, would I need to plug in other ethernet cables into the back of each HR24?

Currently my internet acces is 110 down and 11 up

Thanks!

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yep, just plug in the ethernet and run the network setup on the Genie. The other units should pick it up over the coax.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I'd second that. I've been using an Ethernet connection from a small switch in my LR entertainment center plugged into a 34.

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When I had my HR44 installed, I removed my CCK and connected Ethernet directly to my Genie. I then used the Ethernet wire that was previously connected to the CCK (in a different room than the one where the Genie was installed) to connect a new GenieGo to my network.

5. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I personally like using a wired CCK, which is separate from the Genie and keeps all receivers connected even if the HR44 is restarted, locked up etc.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And do not double up by connecting both ways! Your instinct was on the money.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, I prefer this way as well.