1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's Your Hearing?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Hearing Loss May Speed Up Dementia

SOURCE

READ MORE

2. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i've worn hearing aids for over 6 years!

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm surprised that there have been no breakthroughs in surgically repairing, restoring or enhancing hearing. I had my hearing checked two years ago for the first time in maybe 40 years and it was below average, which it probably has always been. I tried some $5 hearing aids from eBay, but they worked like $2 hearing aids. I'm not willing to spend $3,000 or whatever good ones cost these days.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've had hearing loss for many years, and until a few years ago, dealt with it. I had my hearing tested by an audiologist at an ear, nose and throat doctor's office and it was suggested I buy a pair of $3,000 aids, which I declined.
    When my local Costco added a Hearing Aid Center, I decided again to have my hearing evaluated. The technician, who had worked for one of the major hearing aid companies for many years, did a very thorough hearing test and provided me with response curves showing my loss. He showed me several different types of hearing aids in a number of price ranges. I decided on a pair of behind the ear aids for just under $2,000 and have been very pleased with them. They're unobtrusive and have very good sound quality. The neat thing is the fact that they are programmed based on your hearing loss characteristics, as opposed to being merely amplifiers, as is the case with the cheap hearing devices so prevalent in the marketplace.

The nice thing about Costco is the fact that their hearing aid consultants are salaried, rather than commissioned, so there is no pressure.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My hearing has remain good as I aged. Must be because I preferred center balcony seats at the concerts I went to in my youth.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I've noticed my hearing is not what it use to be. I do prefer that people are turned toward me so I can hear them better (something I never required in the past) but I can still listen to the TV at a extremely low volume (under 10) and if it's quiet, I can hear the slightest footsteps or someone whispering.

As for my memory, I can't remember what the wife said to me this morning, not sure though if that's a bad thing :lol:

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I can take on a pre-teen for hearing range and sensitivity (re- mosquito ringtones) - and I'm over 50. Not only is my frequency range very, very good - I'm extremely sensitive to noise of any kind - a firealarm in a building will damn near paralyze me if I don't have ear plugs. I will often turn DOWN the radio in the car if I have a headache....

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I never thought I had any hearing loss as I hear things very well. However, a year or two ago my son (5) went in for a hearing test and I sat in the booth with him. They would play a sound and he would have to point to where the sound came from in the little booth and things like that.

Near the end, the guy conducting the test said "OK, give me a thumbs up when you hear a sound". Silence. But my son gave a thumbs up. Silence again and my son gave another thumbs up. Afterward I asked the guy if that was some type of trick just to see if my son would give a thumbs up even though there was no sound, and he said "No, there was high frequency sound that he heard, but you didn't. Most people over 40 can't hear it". Bummer.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    What?

10. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    If you grew up in Cincinnati.....

Please?

11. SayWhat?