1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

howto costom shink DP721 menu

Discussion in 'The OT' started by omega-EFA, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omega-EFA

omega-EFA New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    delete by me

omega-EFA

2. SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville Legend

Jun 26, 2002
    What the heck are you talking about???????

3. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Ok, I'm bored so I'm going to rant. Sentences (dare I call it that?) like this will lose almost all readers:
    Might I suggest you learn the english language prior to trying to post? There are at LEAST ten mispellings in that short quote - not to mention the lack of a subject and a complete disregard for punctuation.

If you aren't confident in your own command of the language, perhaps you could have someone else proofread your posts. Failing that, I would suggest you print out and read them before you post.

4. Tomsoundman

Tomsoundman Godfather/Supporter

Jun 17, 2002
    this is the funniest post I've read! Made my day!

5. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Man, maybe we should get some name requirements like that other board!

And what's a shink? :shrug:

6. SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville Legend

Jun 26, 2002
    Wow, we should be very scared...is that the future of our country or what? No wonder the Silicon Valley is a ghost town now... Too bad it got deleted by the poster; this could have been one of the craziest threads of all time!

7. marshalk

marshalk Legend

Jun 9, 2002
    Hay, the poster is from Orion, give 'em a break. I suspect the message was garbled during the sub-space transmission from so many light years away.

8. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    You guys were pretty mean, no wonder he deleted his post. He was obviously using English as a second language. I would suppose his native language was German just based on some of his spellings.

All he wanted to do was post how to change the bitmaps in the menu backgrounds if you wanted. It sounded like a fun way to customize the 721 player.

After the informative article on how to make the lights on the front panel blink, you would think this forum would be more open to other fun 721 tricks. Guess not!

9. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I saw the post this morning, after taking a few moments to decode it I easily figured out what the person was saying.

According to Echostar these types of modifications are the only real ones users can do to their machines, the rest of the software in the 721 is all wrapped up.

The menus on the 721 are all HTML based.

BTW no need to pick on the guy, it was a neat tip. :)

10. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Scott, Mike, please, I really could not understand what he was talking about!

I'm sorry, but one requirement here has to be an at least limited mastery of the English language. I really mean no disrespect here to anyone, including the original poster. But I read the post three times and was totally in the dark.

11. SteveinDanville

SteveinDanville Legend

Jun 26, 2002
    I apologize for my insensitivity. My mouth is now being washed out with soap... Never woulda thought their were neat tricks and tips in that transmission from Orion, though.

12. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Hey, I said I was bored - still waiting to get ramped up at new job.

13. Mike123abc

Jul 19, 2002
    Well maybe my background in computer programming allowed me to easily decipher what he was saying. A brief translation would be that you can modify these files to change the way your menus look (backgrounds, colors, etc) and the 721 would not auto reload them until a software update came out.

Maybe you would want to see your program guide with little Christmas trees on it with red and green program bars for Christmas? Maybe little turkeys for Thanksgiving...

Too bad the post is gone and you know how hard it is to pick up a transmission from orion. Now we may never know!

14. sjhill01

sjhill01 AllStar

Oct 13, 2002
    Thanks for harrassing this guy and having him get rid of the post.. :(

I'd love to know what it said if anyone remembers!

15. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Um, sj, that's the problem - we had no idea what he was saying.

16. sjhill01

sjhill01 AllStar

Oct 13, 2002
    There were at least a couple of people who said they understood it..

17. Mike123abc

Jul 19, 2002
    He listed the file names and which directories they were in to edit, but I did not take note since I do not have a 721. Perhaps someone with a 721 noted the file names and paths.

18. DLF

DLF Guest

Sentence fragment: Stones and glass houses, jcrash.

19. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Someone please close this thread.

20. sjhill01

sjhill01 AllStar

Oct 13, 2002
    That's not going to help me get an answer, James_F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.