1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR 20 100--distorted picture--5.1 audio problem-s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Sommers, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sommers

Sommers New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I moved out of a Tivo HD10-250 to upgrade and worked my deal on a new HR20 100--5LNB dish etc.

I am running the video and audio through my Pioneer 49TXi A/V reciever.
    I never had any issues doing so with my former TIVO box.

The HR shows up and is installed. I set the HR to xmit 5.1 dolby sound
    The next day I notice that when I'm on a non Dolby audio channel and change to a channel broadcasting in 5.1 dolby audio there is a buzz and then a loud static sound and my audio totally drops out.
    The only fix is to change inputs on the Pio A/V (go from sat to DVD or whatever and then back to Sat) and the sound comes back.
    When going from a 5.1 audio channel to non dolby---there is still a buzz--but no loss of audio.

THEN---upon starting up---the picture comes up "arc-ed"---bent lines---distorted--hard to describe--but totally unwatchable. The fix for this seemed to be to change channels a few times and the picture distortion seemed to resolve.
    So, I called D to complain and they sent a tech out. When the guy saw and heard what I'm trying to describe here--he went straight to his truck and put in a new HR---taking away the first one.
    We set it up and all seemed good.

Then the next day--the exact same audio and video problems showed up again--on this second box.---Only--now--the channel changing doesn't resolve the video---I have to totally power down the HR and re boot the thing. The audio loss is also just a bad

Again--my 4 or so year old TIVO---NEVER--exhibited these problems--NEVER.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues? Versus calling D again--I'm trying to do some research--first

2. RichardL

RichardL Cool Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I have a similar problem - when trying to use Dolby 5.1 via optical out I only get rear sound. I have to switch to non-dolby to hear the front speech tracks. Video appears OK though. I posted a thread several days ago, no replies

R

3. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    May I ask some trouble-shooting questions?

What happens when you run the HR20 outputs directly to your TV?

The sounds and crackling you describe could be a ground loop. Have you checked you electrical outlets? The tester is like 3 bucks at any of the home stores.

What surge protector are you using? Are the HR20, Pioneer, and TV all on the same surge protector? Are all plugged into the same outlet?

Are you using a UPS? Which one?

- Craig

4. Sommers

Sommers New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Thanks, Craig

My components are buried in a wood cabinet---to change anything---is a real pain.

My frame of reference is that my TIVO H10-250 which I just took off line--worked trouble free for 4 years or so.

However,
    I have a Tripp Lite surge--not the best quality and yes, everything plugs into it--and then it into one outlet
    Not using UPS.

I called Pioneer--and they suggested changing the optical input location for the HR---and if that didn't work---going through a ground up Pio system set up.

On AVS and I think here--I have read of the audio problem from posters who have other brand A/V receivers. So, while I suspect my 49TXi could be a problem--It sounds like it's an HR issue.

5. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    The only way you will know is to put the HR20 outputs directly into the TV. I also have a large wood cabinet. But this way you will know instantly where the problem is.

I will bet you a donut it is not the HR20... :sure:

- Craig

6. Sommers

Sommers New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Craig
    I was afraid of that---ouch! (a new AVR?)

I think the audio problem is the Pioneer--almost for sure. However, and again--the video thing never happened in 4 years on the old Tivo box.
    It would be a big coincidence if it turns out to be the Pio on the video too.

Next rainy day I'll do the change over and report back

7. Sommers

Sommers New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Craig
    I haven't changed the set up as you recommended--but I have noticed that upon turn on----without any channel changing--(if I just watch it distorted for awhile)---it resolves itself---straightens out and gives a great picture

Does that change your analysis?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.