1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

HR 20-700 decides to stop talking to Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mhking, Jan 8, 2014.

1. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I've got an HR 20-700 that I replaced with a Genie in my family room a couple of months ago. After moving it to the bedroom, it worked just fine -- I could see the recordings on it from the new system downstairs, and I could see recordings from the new box on the old one. At least until early this morning.

Apparently there was a software update overnight that broke the system. It not only will not see the Genie downstairs, it won't even see programming on any channel. I can see and watch recordings already on it (I've gotta watch a couple of movies before it dies completely), but nothing else. And likewise, the Genie can't see or use that tuner either.

I called tech support today (I got a nice woman on the phone who made a point to tell me she was in Mississippi), who had me (yet again and even though I had done it at least five separate times today) RBR the system, disconnect and reconnect the wires and RBR it once again. Still no love from the system. She says she can have a tech sent out or have a replacement box sent out (I've got the protection plan and have had it for several years) -- at least once I pay my past due bill (which'll happen on the 15th)...

My question -- am I better off having a tech come out (I would presume he would have a replacement box in his bag-o-tricks) or to just have them send me a replacement box... And which box would I likely see as the replacement when I get it (or the tech brings it out)?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    drop ship form DirecTV , most likely and older receiver. tech might replace it with an HR24

3. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Tech replaced the HR 20 with an HR24 - works like a dream. Only downside now is that my HR44 isn't talking (completely) to the internet (no Pandora/YouTube, though it did work when I first had it installed in November) and it's not pulling down the channel logos.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    For the latter, try a double menu reset, then give it at least a day to populate the Guide and logos.