1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 and XBOX 360 audio/video hookup suggestions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by tkrandall, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I have a Samsung 1080p DLP set. I am looking to add a 5.1 system with a medium price range ($300-$600) audio receiver/amplifier, plus speakers on top of that. Presently I have a XBOX 360 with a HD DVD drive add-on hooked up via component (and just l/r audio) direct to the TV. I am also getting OTA local channels in HD. I am looking to add an HR-20 HD DVR. I would presumably use the HDMI output from the HR-20.

Would it be better for me to
    (A) get a more expensive receiver that had the added capability to convert component video and optical audio (from the XBOX 360) to HDMI, and route both the 360 and HR-20 signals through the receiver, with a single HDMI output to the TV? Source selection would only be via the audio receiver. Or....

(B) should I just go with a lesser receiver that can't to the HDMI up-convert? With that I could either 1) just route the videos direct to the TV, and only use the receiver for audio connections, or 2) connect both audio and video through the audio receiver to be passed on to the TV through seperate inputs. Either 1 or 2 still requires source selection on both the TV and the audio receiver.

2. jeff125va

jeff125va Godfather

Jun 4, 2007
    I'd probably go with B and get a programmable remote such as the Harmony 880 that will do all of your input switching for you. Of course, a better receiver will have other benefits, but if all you're concerned about is the input switching, I don't think it's worth it.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually...

This is a great question for our sister site:
    AVSForum - www.avsforum.com

As it really isn't about the HR20 or the XBOX360, but on the pro's and con's of using a receiver amp as an switcher/converter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.