1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 Audio Sync problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jimstick, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 2, 2007 #1 of 13
    jimstick

jimstick AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    I have a HR-20 and it seems, more often than not, during playback, the sound and the picture are out of sync. I have tried pausing, rewinding, fast forwarding, skip, back skip, pressing play, pressing List and then exit, and have even reset the receiver with the red button inside the card door, nothing helps. I have watched a program and seen that the audio sync is on during live view, and then played back the recording and it is off. I notice it when watching playback of recordings on OTA locals, but not during live viewing, and not all the time, so I doubt if it is the channel. It also seems to vary in severity. Sometimes it's way off, and others it's only slighty off. Any ideas?

2. May 2, 2007 #2 of 13
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I have had sync issues as well, particularly with the most recent SW revs. But, I have always been able to solve them with a short pause, or a jumpback, etc...

So, time for the questions...
    How are you getting your sound? HDMI to the TV or receiver? Optical to TV or receiver? RCA jacks to TV or receiver? If you are hooked up more than one way, do you get the same results?

3. May 3, 2007 #3 of 13
    chris-in-hills

chris-in-hills Cool Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Gents,

I also experienced audio sync problems this evening on my HR20-100 (with latest s/w), this time on Fox Sports Bay Area (SD broadcast of SF Giants game). Audio was consistently about 1/2 second ahead of the video. Did not matter whether I was using HDMI or composite+audio connections--same crappy result.

4. May 3, 2007 #4 of 13
    sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    I have had Audio sync problems from Day 1 on my KDKA CBS mpeg 4 station out of Pittsburgh. It has gotten a little bit better but shows like How I Met Your Mother are still horrible. I really hope they are looking at this and will fix it soon!! I am starting to lose hope... :nono:

5. May 3, 2007 #5 of 13
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Cygnusloop asked the right questions. Audio sync problems may be broadcast-related, HR20-related or specific to your set-up. E.g., I've got an HR20 connected via optical cable to my receiver and via component to my plasma. With this set-up, I need to delay my receiver's audio 4 ms to avoid lip-synch problems. /s

6. May 3, 2007 #6 of 13
    sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006

I am running my audio to my receiver via HDMI but I also tried optical and RCA all with the same result. This happens on all of my HR20s. I have some friends with OTA HD and they have no problem with audio sync on their local KDKA CBS station. Also my audio is behind my video so there is no way to delay the video.

I believe it is a DirecTV encoding problem or an HR20 decoding problem, although all my other stations do not have this problem.

7. May 3, 2007 #7 of 13
    w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Steve - Are you sure you only need to add 4 milliseconds to correct the lip sync error? 4 miliseconds is only 4/1000 of one second and would be undetectible by most people. Could it be 40 milliseconds? I normally add about 75 milliseconds for most programming.

Bill

8. May 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Gotcha. Sounds like you're only having a problem with KDKA anyway. I occasionally have a lip synch problem with just WNBC in NY.

You'll probably need to contact someone in engineering at KDKA. That's how we were able to get some FOX audio problems in NY fixed. Maybe there's a website with some contact info. /s

9. May 3, 2007 #9 of 13
    sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    Yeah, that is a really good idea. Maybe they would have some more insight into the problem. Thanks!

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No, just 4ms is needed. Your video display probably has a longer processing lag than mine.

Even 1ms is apparently detectable to me, because 5ms introduces too much delay. I suspect it's all relative, once you've honed in on approximately the right delay. E.g., you're at 75ms, and not 70ms or 80ms, so you're most likely seeing at least a 5ms difference, if not more granular. /s

11. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    I guess my old ears are not as sharp as yours. I have to change things in 10 to 20 ms steps even to tell the difference! For what it is worth, one HDTV frame of video lasts for 33.3 ms (1/30th sec). So seeing the difference between one frame and the next takes at least that long. Anything shorter can not be seen. - Bill

12. shelbo

shelbo New Member

May 2, 2007
    I'm in Los Angeles, with the HR20 connected just to the TV via HDMI, and I have been getting 4 or 5 second delays! Only on recorded stuff, and on various channels. Monday's episode of Heros on NBC HD had a 5-second delay that really made it unwatchable. Any suggestions?

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I've been accused of being a perfectionist at times, but not in this case. 4ms really makes a difference for me.

Oppo, a company who makes DVD players, had a lot of complaints about lip synch problems on their first DVD player, the 971H. A subsequent firmware update changed the players default audio delay to 5ms and people stopped complaining. So it's not just me! :) /s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.