1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 Freezing & Pixelizing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DirectNJ, Oct 26, 2009.

1. DirectNJ

DirectNJ Cool Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Hi Guys,

This one has me completely baffled. Hoping someone out there has an idea or two...

I have an HR-20 with an intermittent issue that's giving me fits. I'm getting frequent pixelized frozen pictures on the MPEG-4 HD Channels. They look like the garbled mess you see when rain fade occurs. EXCEPT, unlike rain fade, the picture never goes black. It just stays frozen on the image. In fact if you switch to another channel, you will see the same frozen image come up on that channel as well...

The channels that are most affected by this are my NY Locals, which according to another post I found on this site, are on 99(s) transponders 16 & 20. I have a 99 signal on both of those transponders. BUT, I have also encountered this situation on some channels in the low 200's: ESPN, ESPN2, NFLN & MLB to name a few... Sometimes when this happens on the locals, I can switch to the DNS channels in the 390's & they will work, but not every time...

This phenomenon does not occur on either of my other 2 HD boxes, so I've ruled out a dish alignment problem. I've swapped B-Band converters, cables, etc. It occurs on both tuners...

I called D* a couple of weeks back & they told me to re-format the drive. I didn't want to do that at the time because I didn't want to lose saved programming. So, I wrote down the instructions, and waited until today to do it. I did the RBR & pushed the down arrow, along with the record button & the scan occured....

Of course, when it completed, it said "passed" & the receiver booted up. It came back up on Channel 2 (WCBS) and showed a green garbled mess (Obviously, there was no image in memory to display)... The Locals were all frozen, but the channels in the 390's were fine & the other HD's were fine...

A half hour later, everything is working, including the NY Locals, but as I said earlier: this has been an intermittent problem, so I don't expect it to stay this way...

Anybody got a theory?? Thanks in advance for your help...

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    could this be an hdmi issue?
    never personally experienced it so I'm just guessing.

3. sdocean

sdocean Cool Member

Oct 25, 2009
    "RBR & pushed the down arrow, along with the record button"

is this different than the utilities menu you get when you hit select after seeing a self-test screen?

4. MattWarner

MattWarner Legend

Feb 11, 2007
    Since you have multiple HD receivers, I'd recommend swapping the problem receiver with another one in your house and see if the problem goes with your receiver or is in the room.

If in the room, then that really points to cabling... If the problem goes with the receiver, then time for DirecTV to replace it.

5. MrGibbage

MrGibbage Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    I've also got an HR20 and it's doing that exact same thing. I have only noticed it on the local channels (both SAT and OTA) though. And what's more, when I watch a recorded show, it also does this hiccup thing (again, locals only). And when I back it up and replay the spot where it hiccupped, it doesn't do it in the same spot.

I don't have any other HD receivers, but I do have another SD receiver and it does not do this. And my signal strength is in the 90s for all channels/ TPs.

6. Clark143

Clark143 Mentor

Mar 18, 2007
    I'm having the same issue with my HR20. I have a FAP hooked up and thought that the hard drive was going bad.

I can't recall what channels overall it's doing it on, but did notice on my local ABC channel this past Saturday while watching Clemson beat Miami.

It freezes, then picks right up where it stopped at. Doesn't slip forward to where the broadcast might be live. Its about like I paused it for a second.