1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 Freezing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Special Ed, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I have a 3 or 4 year old HR-20 with an external drive and it started totally freezing once or twice a day this week. The only way to fix the problem is to reboot it or unplug it. This is not a short freeze, it is a total lockup needing a reboot.

Is my HR-20 on it's last leg or could an external drive do this? I guess tonight I'll unhook the external and see what happens. Unfortunately we are leaving on a week vacation in 2 days so it seems we will miss some recordings unless it is the external and I run to best buy and get a new one.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The eSATA external drive could cause this. I had to dump mine for similar problems. Of course, these units (as all units) will eventually lose their internal drives as well. I have an HR20-700 and it is on internal now, after running two years on a FAP-750 external.

Unplug the eSATA and start over (you lose your eSATA recordings), and will have to reset some of the settings, but it should get you going again. (Power down the receiver, then unplug the drive). If the problem persists, then get the sat box replaced (and you will also lose your eSATA recordings if you connect the new sat box to the old eSATA)

3. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    We have a "new" hr-20 coming next week because it kept locking up. We don't use an external hard drive. This will be our third unit as our previous 2 both had freezing issues and died. Good Luck.

4. gcook

gcook New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I had a freezing issue too for a while .. they replaced the box, then they came out and noticed I did not have HD wiring. When I got hd they simply send me the hd dvrs and never rewired me with the 2 wires that come to each box.. I only had the standard 1 wired coming in. apparently that was the cause of my freeze..

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    HR20-xxx? Also, what kind of eSATA do you have?

Rich

6. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    You know, an external drive can be replaced with another external drive. If it is a homebrew case+drive you just need to replace the bare drive. If it is a retail external drive, a new one will likely fix it.

The HR-2x will start using the new drive automatically. You will lose all recordings, of course. But it is not necessary to exchange the HR-2x unit itself.

(even an internal drive can be replaced, but that violates the warranty and requires a couple special tools and some savvy).

7. Aug 2, 2010 #7 of 19
    Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Update: Before vacation I unplugged the external drive and rebooted. When we got back a few days ago the DVR is still up and running so it is the external drive going bad.

There are a few backlogs of shows (like a few of last year's eureka and this year's new episodes) on the external so I hope to be able to plug it in and watch some of them before it freezes again. It seemed to go a half a day at a time between reboots before a freeze so we'll see.

The weird thing is I have two DVRs at the same tv location and just added an external to the second DVR and the old one dies on me a few days :mad:

8. Aug 3, 2010 #8 of 19
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Since you are using an external that is beginning to fail, copy it to a new external, that way all your recordings are intact as long the old drive lasts long enough to complete the copy operation. To me, this is one of the great advantages to using an eSATA setup. No opening up a box that most don't own, just buy a replacement drive ,go hook old and new up to your pc, boot to the gparted disk and copy away...as long as the dvr doesnt fail, replacing a drive every few years is a piece of cake and no lost recordings.

9. Aug 3, 2010 #9 of 19
    Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I was just thinking about this. I believe I have a 750 meg drive there now, it shouldn't matter if I copy to a new larger drive should it?

Would the process be to copy everything to my computer hard drive then move that data to the new drive? Boot to gparted disc... is there a step by step process out there?

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440

11. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks for the link. It looks easy enough, especially when swapping out external drives.

12. swise

swise New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I have a HR20-700. In July I had the whole house dvr (and ICK) installed. Everything was fine until yesterday when I tried to add an external hdd to the HR20-700. The unit now reboots by itself about every 30 to 40 minutes. Any ideas would be appreciated. I also have another HR20-700 with an external hdd and it is working. the rest of my receivers are a HR24-500 and a H24-500 with a 5lnb SWim dish.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What kind of external did you add and what model HDD?

Rich

14. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    It most likely is the external drive. Did you get one of the DVR ready drives? I am sure plenty of external drives will work but I played it safe and got the Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB External Hard Drive. I figured with a name like "DVR expander" I could not go wrong and so far it is working smooth like butter.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I only use and recommend the WD EVDS drives. I know they work with every HR. (So far.)

Rich

16. swise

swise New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The enclosure is an Antec MX-1 and the drive is WD10EVDS.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could be the Antec. They are great when they work, but I've had a couple that wouldn't work. You might try a docking station. Or return the MX-1 to Antec and try it. Should work.

Rich

18. swise

swise New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Thanks for your help Rich584 and Special Ed. It turned out to be a bad sata cable. Replaced the cable and all is well. Thanks again

19. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I finally called D* on Friday to request a new HR-2x as my HR20-700 continues to do weird things. I've had audio dropouts when rewinding live TV, unit does not respond to the remote, unit will not turn on from the remote or front panel power button, etc.

I requested an HR23 or HR24 but I know they can't guarantee a specific model. The replacement unit should be here by Tuesday. There was no charge as I got them to credit me the $20 shipping charge. I am not on the protection plan.

Since I won't know if I will be getting an HR20 or a newer model, I don't know if I will need to order the AM-21. I will have to wait until the new one arrives. How much are the AM-21s? $50?