1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR-20 ignoring priority order and not taping shows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mobamoba, Oct 13, 2011.

1. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    It's been how many years now and this buggy piece of junk still can't achieve its basic function and actually record shows. Here's what just happened - the following shows all tape the same night:

Series Priority 12 - 8pm-10pm
    Series Priority 20 - 9pm-10:30pm
    Series Priority 40 - 9pm-10pm

Which do you think the HR-20 chose NOT to record? Why the highest rated priority show of course. I guess I have to keep babysitting this thing because it's incapable of, oh, recording shows based on the priority I set. AARGH!

P.S. Sorry for all the sarcasm but it's so unbelieveably frustrating to come home and find a show I actually wanted to watch didn't record because the DVR completely ignored my settings. I hope AllVid actually goes somewhere so I can keep DirectTV and dump this garbage DVR.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I know something like this would piss me off too.
    What I don't understand is why this happened.
    I have a couple of HR20s and they always seem to record what I want them to.
    What was happening before 8 PM?

since I have a couple of DVRs, I have spread my series links around so the network channels are evenly split between them [NBC & CBS on one, and Fox & ABC on the other] and then have these at the top of this list, with the cable channel series links below [on each] since they normally re-air later and the networks don't.
    "Anyway" this has solved most/all of my missed recordings as even when the networks "play their games", of adding a min or two or changing nights, there isn't a problem.

3. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Is the Priority 12 program set to "First run only"? Perhaps its guide date didn't adequately identify the status of the program.

What does Menu | Manage Recordings | History show for that program?

4. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    No, I set everything as First Run and Repeats because I don't trust the guide data to get it right. The Priority 12 show was X Factor. The history said absolutely nothing about why it vanished. I got home at 8:30, noticed nothing was recording, then went to the guide, saw X Factor listed there and hit record - in other words, the guide data was accurate.

BTW, I moved my Priority 40 show to record at 10pm (instead of 9 because of the X Factor conflict); in the History, it shows the 10pm airing as "Cancelled" -despite the fact that it's currently 10:30 my time and I can see the DVR is recording it right now!! That history is useless. How is something both cancelled and currently recording? How come the cancellation of the 8pm X Factor didn't even register in the history?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Rarely I see a show that normally airs a say 8 get picked up at say 10, which isn't the first airing [DUH]. "I think" this comes where the guide data for the later airing is the first data the DVR gets, so the SL picks this time. Then later the guide data fills in and shows [if you check] that the 8:00 isn't going to record, and the 10:00 does.
    I think this mostly happens when I've rebooted my DVR recently.
    If it wasn't in the history, then it never "planned to" record it.

6. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean. Unlike cable shows which seem to have endless repeats (which is why I put most Bravo shows on low priority), X Factor only has one airing and only at 8pm. It's been recording fine these prior weeks. Additionally, because I know these DVRs have problems, I babysit it and check my To Do list every few days to make sure things are recording as they're supposed to. As of last night, X Factor was set to record tonight. Today, it simply didn't despite being in the guide data and with no notation in the history as to why.

The problem is that the software is still buggy all these years later. Because the history is useless - because it doesn't serve as a real log that a tech support person could examine to understand why the DVR did what it did - these bugs will seemingly never be resolved.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is only "your DVR' or what, but I've had my two coming up on 5 years now, and while the software was buggie has hell in the beginning, it was sorted out in the Feb/Mar time frame of '07 for most of us here.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Mobamoba, don't think you answered this yet. Did you have anything recording before 8? Like a show from 7-8, or 7:30-8?

9. bigwad

bigwad Godfather

Oct 19, 2006
    Was the problem related to the Tigers game being rain delayed. I think the game didn't end until after 9pm.

10. Jim Manis

Jim Manis Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    X Factor was not shown Wednesday because of the Tigers - Rangers game being delayed and then going 11 innings. They kept announcing that X factor would be shown Thursday night as a 2 hour show.

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It ended on time last night.

I wonder if it was considered a rerun or a reaired episode from the day before, because last nights show was supposed to be Wednesday's 2 hour show. Thursday was supposed to be a 90 minute "Part II." So, the guide data may have been changed to what it was Wednesday night, which might not have been properly labeled as a 'First Run.' Make sense? :lol:

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This doesn't quite explain why there isn't a history entry. My HR20 will show canceled due to "xxx" [program update, show didn't match my settings, etc.].
    This case seems almost like the DVR rebooted and then didn't find this show as it rebuilt the todo list.

13. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    No, those three shows were the only ones taping on Thursday.

And the rain delay was Wednesday not Thursday; like I mentioned, the guide had the data; it simply ignored priority and recorded two lower-priority programs instead.

The only thing I can think of is something akin to what sigma1914 mentioned - the guide didn't update Wednesday to reflect the rain delay so recorded X Factor from 8-10 on Wednesday anyway; Thursday's guide data marked it as a repeat and it didn't tape because of that 30 day (7 day?) repeat window where, even if you mark a show to record all episodes, it won't record the same episode twice in a certain timeframe (otherwise our DVRs would be completely filled with Bravo shows which repeat endlessly).

In any event, live TV bumping scheduled shows isn't something new - Fox has baseball on every single year at this time. The developers at DTV should skip new features until they can ensure that I never miss a recording (and how about fix the ridiculous pauses with the remote while we're at it (different thread, I know)).

I don't know where in the chain from guide data to the software this problem happened, but I'm just angry that after years of development this thing still utterly fails at its most core function.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Oops, I missed that he set to record repeats, too.
    Isn't the DVR programmed to not record a showing that's been recorded within 20-something days? If his DVR recorded what was supposed to air Wednesday, then it wouldn't rerecord it, right?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think it's the "28 day rule".
    What is strange with this is the lack of a history entry.
    My HR20 lists various "reasons" [some not making a bit of sense] for shows that didn't record, but were in the todo list.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I tend to agree with the rain delayed game causing the episode data for xfactor to be wrong explanation to why it didnt record the Wednesday show on Thursday...

17. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  18. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It is strange there is nothing in the history. Were there any overlaps such as one show was 31 or 61 minutes? Those overlaps cause a lot of problems...although there would be a history entry. :scratchin

Mike

19. cruxer

cruxer Mentor

Nov 11, 2006
    It's hard to imagine how you'd programmatically fix this issue. The DVR doesn't actually know that what it recorded during the Wed 8-10 window was baseball rather than X Factor. It's only a VCR with a much better programming function. The only way to record around live sports reliably is to babysit, buffer, and/or manually record re-airings of missed shows. Manually recording seems to override the no-duplication window on my HR-20.

That said, it is baffling that there is no history entry for the missed Thursday recording.

-c

20. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    Having a logging function so issues like this could be debugged would be one way. Another way - if the problem is the guide data - is to add a flag to that data indicating a particular episode is an exception to the 28-day window. An third way is that, in general, network programs air once whereas cable programs generally air multiple times; thus, drop the 28-day window for network shows (assuming that's the problem). Or let me manually drop it for certain channels or shows.