1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hr-20 locking up during replay

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by scottrof, Nov 7, 2010.

1. scottrof

scottrof Mentor

Nov 13, 2006
    I have an hr 20 which is locking up for 15-20 second spans during replay, whether just buffered live tv or recorded shows. It is very annoying. The whole box locks with this happens, you can't do anything at all until it decides to unfreeze.

I'm shocked to find that there is no non-destructive way to test/fix this issue. I called directv and they said the only option is to reformat and cross my fingers that it'll fix it. Then and ONLY then would they replace the unit.

I also find it lame that there is not way to transfer the existing shows to an external drive. I would buy en esata drive and transfer them over and do the reformat if this were possible.

Any other options out there? Anyone else experiencing this?

2. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Have you tried a reset yet?

3. ben4408

ben4408 New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I have been having the same problem. I am pretty sure it is the hard drive failing.
    I think there two options: 1. buy a external hdd and see if that cures the problem. 2. purchase d*s service plan and get the receiver replaced.
    It could be a firmware problem but I would guess you would get more then a couple responses if that were the case.

4. CopyCat

CopyCat Member

Jan 21, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have not tried this, but check out this post on moving shows to a new drive, to be used in the same DVR:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440